Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Atheism discussion

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#11 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

I firmly believe that there is no God as well, but it's impossible to know FOR SURE in our direction, while it is possible to know for sure in the other direction if there's any empirical evidence (there isn't)

One thing that I think, is that if there was a god, everyone would know. It wouldn't be disputable, it wouldn't be a cause of fighting or war, it wouldn't be a minority opinion (each religion is a minority of the total), it would be kind of like a fact. At least, a mystical truth backed by real-world evidence. The world would be vastly different than it is today. But then of course what is the god? What are they like, what's their mind made of, are they part of a higher-layered universe? The existence of a god brings up so many unanswered problems that are conveniently ignored on the premise of "He is Omnipotent and Omnibeneficial" or something lol, and leave it at that

anyway, anyone have some answers for my post #7? :P

Huh, good point.
This actually reminds me of a youtube video I watched.
It's a satire, the "christian" in there is actually atheist, and although he works in comedy, he doesn't just make stuff up, everything he says is based on logic and reasoning

I live a few blocks away from where the baby mentioned in the video was shot.
It's been my favorite hangout since I was like, seven.
It's sad.....

Edited by Ploper, 06 September 2008 - 12:17 AM.

#12 crazypainter

crazypainter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

3. Human beings require (to some extent) a system of belief in order to function.
Disagree - I don't have a system of belief and I get along fine tongue.gif
I think you misunderstand that one. We all have a system of belief be it mythology (religion)
or good vs evil. What do you believe in? Gravity? Science? Darwinism? Logic? Rationality?
Those are strong belief systems.
I believe that there is no God/Godess and that we created the whole concept.

#13 dusty_b109

dusty_b109

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:04 AM

I am definitely not religious. There are too many contradictions with every faith. I'm, rather, spiritual in the fact that I do believe there is a higher power, which is who every religion worships (have you seen the similarities between all religions?!?). I am also a scientist, and those of you who are scratching your heads trying to figure out how someone can be spiritual AND a scientist, with all the miracles, strange supernatural things, all the stuff we DON'T know, and occurrences that are highly improbable, how can you not.

I am one who hates religious and political debates, because people are often set in their ways and not willing to listen to others. Anything I have said above is not meant to offend anyone or say anyone else is wrong, that's just how I feel. I also don't feel that others should have the power to tell you what to believe. I am VERY anti-evangelical. There's my two-cents. That can buy you a half a piece of gum.

Edit: I cnat splel

Edited by dusty_b109, 06 September 2008 - 01:05 AM.

#14 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

Ploper: lol @ the vid

CP: Ah I see... I believe in the chaotic nature of the universe and our own part in it. I guess that's a 'belief structure' by that defintion, though it's not 'beliefs', more like... I don't know. I don't act the way I do based on blind faith, in other words... by what I know and what I can learn and see and feel, like all of us, except I do this unbiasedly, as I wasn't raised on either side of the scale (religious or atheist), and instead formed my own opinions which were later hardened and resolved... but they're not beliefs. They're like axioms, I guess. Facts about the universe, etc. I don't know... the rules we all live by, the ones we don't consciously learn until we take Physics class. So if all of that is a 'belief system', than an appreciation of our existence is mine :P

Dusty: Yeah, if such a god or 'presence' exists, any current religion is way off mark. I respect your idea of a higher power, but do you have any insight into its nature? Is it some sort of conscious entity? An infinitely-permeated presence, kind of like an energy field, that affects everything? (like the Force lol). I mean, what kind of higher power are we talking here? The term is so vague. And of course the big question is 'Is it conscious?' and 'What is it made of? / How does it work? / etc'

#15 Mekal

Mekal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:36 AM

I think that numbers were made after nature... but pie is just a ratio... however the fibinace sequence occurs in nature many times...

#16 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:50 AM

numbers "made" by what? Thought up by people? Clearly 'numbers' of things exist regardless, so I don't see where you're coming from. And yeah, the Golden Ratio (and heavily related Fibonacci sequence) are definitely integral parts of nature, so I think numbers and nature go hand in hand ;D

#17 Frost

Frost

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

numbers "made" by what? Thought up by people? Clearly 'numbers' of things exist regardless, so I don't see where you're coming from. And yeah, the Golden Ratio (and heavily related Fibonacci sequence) are definitely integral parts of nature, so I think numbers and nature go hand in hand ;D

Don't forget e, the most natural number ever. 2.7182818284... :P

#18 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

phi > e !!!!!

go 1.61803399 and -0.61803399!!! The Golden Ratio is waaay more amazing than e

#19 Frost

Frost

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

phi > e !!!!!

go 1.61803399 and -0.61803399!!! The Golden Ratio is waaay more amazing than e

lol, I know how obsessed you are with phi. Besides, 2.7182818284 > 1.6180339887. :P
Let's not argue over which is better, this is getting off topic anyways, but a few things:

-phi occurs a lot in nature and has a ton of geometrical properties(why?), according to wikipedia
-e is needed for compound interest, and e^x is also the only function that is its derivative(again, why?)
-also, why is it that pi is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter?

And something that I just thought was funny about phi(found it on wikipedia):

sin(666 degrees) + cos(6*6*6 degrees) = -phi

#20 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

I think someone in Religious Debate mentioned though that the "real" number (if you can call it that) was 661, but 666 read better or something like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users