Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whatchya Gonna Do (2 goats and a car)

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#161 Shanks

Shanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:15 AM

why is there so much talk of probability??!! Its making my head spin. Anyway, here is my reasoning and am not using probability here!

[Door 1] has goat
[Door 2] Picked by jennifer
[Door 3]

Jennifer should definitely switch since if the car is behind 2, she will get a dinner. But if the car is behind 3, she gets car wax. Now why would someone give you a car wax unless and until you have a car! the car is in 3.

#162 xamdam

xamdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

Spoiler for I got

#163 Carpe Mofo

Carpe Mofo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

It's 50/50. The problem in your logic is, after he shows a goat, your still figuring in the door that we now know has goat as a possibility, she can no longer choose that door which brings the possible selection down to two doors and since she can only choose one, that means she is choosing one door out of two possible doors, meaning a one in two chance... It can ONLY be a two out of three chance if all three doors are unknown and she can choose two of them. I'm not trying to be a troll here, but the level of stupidity required for adults not to understand 7th grade math is astounding.

#164 caprirs302

caprirs302

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

It's 50/50. The problem in your logic is, after he shows a goat, your still figuring in the door that we now know has goat as a possibility, she can no longer choose that door which brings the possible selection down to two doors and since she can only choose one, that means she is choosing one door out of two possible doors, meaning a one in two chance... It can ONLY be a two out of three chance if all three doors are unknown and she can choose two of them. I'm not trying to be a troll here, but the level of stupidity required for adults not to understand 7th grade math is astounding.

You have just proven that it is you that doesn't understand 7th grade math, and have thus been labeled a "troll."

To sum it up for you, you originally have a 1/3 chance of picking a winner, which means you have a two thirds chance of picking a loser. Odds are you picked a loser. If the host shows you the OTHER loser, then that means that it is a good bet that the third door is actually the winner, and you should switch. You would be a fool, or a troll, if you did not.

#165 JoeSKull

JoeSKull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:42 AM

I have spent a lot of time thing about this problem and I have read and fully understood the answer from many sources.

So let me put it to you like this, unless you are the smartest mathematician to ever ponder this question then there is no way that you are correct in saying that it is 50/50. Since mathematicians have actually assessed this problem and concluded that the answer is that you should switch and win 2/3 times. If you do not believe me then look it up or look at one of the many links already provided. Or read and understand what it is that the rest of these people are actually saying since you are obviously not.

Good day sir.

#166 spindlethin

spindlethin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:30 AM

I've been struggling with this question forever, but I've finally (and grudgingly) come to realize that the probability really does change if you switch your choice of doors. The number of doors doesn't matter, but the more there are, the more evident the logic is. So, based on a model of 100 doors:

1. You choose a door. you have a 1% chance of choosing the correct door.

2. All doors except the one you chose and one other are revealed. There are now two possibilities:
A - You picked the correct door the first time, at a 1% probability
B - You didn't pick the correct door the first time, at a 99% probability.

The only way that the other door can be the wrong door is if you picked the correct door the first time. The trick to this puzzle is that the options of the second choice are based on the decisions of the first choice - they are not independent events.

#167 tonym144

tonym144

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

you know...you can sit here and write out all the math you want, but in the end if there's 3 doors and you already know 1 to have the goat, then one door has a goat and 1 door has a car. That's a 50/50 chance. If there were 20 doors and I took away 18, you'd still be left with 2 and 1 would be the winning door. It's always going to be 50/50. It's pure logic. Mathematics may not agree with logic, but logic doesn't care. Logic is as logic does.

#168 k-man

k-man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

you know...you can sit here and write out all the math you want, but in the end if there's 3 doors and you already know 1 to have the goat, then one door has a goat and 1 door has a car. That's a 50/50 chance. If there were 20 doors and I took away 18, you'd still be left with 2 and 1 would be the winning door. It's always going to be 50/50. It's pure logic. Mathematics may not agree with logic, but logic doesn't care. Logic is as logic does.

tonym144, you might want to read other posts in this thread and some more information on the web. There are links in this thread to some other resources related to this topic if you didn't find arguments in this thread convincing. Or you can just google "monty hall problem".
Your mistake is that you are thinking that if there are only 2 possible outcomes then they must have equal probability. That's not logical at all. If you buy a lottery ticket there are 2 outcomes - you win or you don't win. The probability is obviously not 50/50.

#169 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5629 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

tonym144, it's a fun puzzle and one that's debated a lot because we like to follow our intuition instead of doing all that messy math.

Spoiler for Here's an intuitive path to the other answer.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#170 aaronbcj

aaronbcj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

I will still stick to #2.
Earlier i had a blind guess of winning a car prob:1/3
Now i have prob:1/2

My hunch tell me however:: Had i selected a door with goat on first choice, the host would have happily opened it to let all know, the game would end there. They were always more interested in saving a jaguar for a goat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users