BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Slick, I don't understand half of what you just rambled about. Who's giving up? Who's quitting? And what's that about increasing children's chances of death?? What does that have to do with anything we've been discussing? Did I miss something? And who said life sucks? I said:

The world rages...not me. I am content, I am not fearful, and I am not a quitter or a sissie. I just believe that war is sometimes necessary. I don't know how many times I have to say it: I AM NOT AGAINST PEACE!!! I preach peace as well. But on the other hand, when it is necessary to have conflict I don't turn and run, I stand my ground...I stand for my freedom and my faith.

And the whole point of this thread is to discuss if/when war is necessary...I don't see how that's "taking it out on peacful people" ? If you don't like what's being discussed here, stop browsing this thread.

...and I still love you too, my Placid Prince of Pacificism :wub:

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY TYPE OF GIRL!!!!! ;)

Has anyone seen the movie "The Kingdom"? I highly recommend it. It really made me think about what's happening on both sides of the war on terror...especially how religion plays into it.

And just for the record. I do not practice Religion. Religion is a corporate action, it has nothing at all to do with faith. That's why there are so many hypocrites in the world. They act out in the name of religion, but they don't have an intimate relationship with God. Jesus and I are buds...we hang out...he loves me and I love him. This has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with relationship.

So...wars started over religion is the same as war started over politics...because God himself IS LOVE (he is the very existance of love and the reason that any of us are able to love...whether you believe in him or not.)

Okay...off my soapbox now.

Oh that's a load of poo, UR, and you know it. First off, God doesn't say he wants war and destruction; He just says that it will happen...as an act of man's freewill.

and it has happened. War has indeed happened. As your Bible predicted (lol, anyone can make that prediction, btw, especially since by the time the people that wrote many parts of the Bible were writing it, countless wars had already happened), there will be war.

And there was war! Many wars! Since that "prophecy" ( :rolleyes: ) has already been fulfilled, why do we need MORE wars? We don't, and we definitely don't need wars just because your deity of choice says we do ;D

Second, Man cannot, by their power, bring forth the End of Days...he can bring the end of his own days maybe, but not the End Times as Jesus spoke of.

I wasn't saying you were like that, I said that some people do in fact believe that a nuclear war will bring about Jesus' return lol

God himself IS LOVE (he is the very existance of love and the reason that any of us are able to love...whether you believe in him or not.)

so is Buddha. Oh and Allah. They all claim to be, but very few gods actually stand up to a statement like that. One quick read of the Old Testament shows you that this just isn't the case, especially for Yahweh. Face it Puzzlegirl, war is a big factor of religion. And still is today. For the amount of war to decrease, people need to come to terms with people of differing religions...

more on topic, I believe that world peace is technically possible, but very hard to achieve, because of human and animal nature. Conflict is a necessary part of survival.

HOWEVER, unnecessary confict is not!!! We must do all we can to promote peace where there is unnecessary conflict :D

Oh good grief. Didn't you read anything I wrote?

And there was war! Many wars! Since that "prophecy" ( :rolleyes: ) has already been fulfilled, why do we need MORE wars? We don't, and we definitely don't need wars just because your deity of choice says we do ;D

I am not saying we NEED wars, and God is not saying we NEED wars...He just says that they will happen. "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars." That's not supposed to be a prophesy, just a statement...the important part is what he says next..."but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come." And so - like I said many many times now - I believe that some form of war is inevitable as long as humans exist...so I choose not to be afraid of such conflicts. On the other hand, I do not promote war as the best way to solve conflict either.

I wasn't saying you were like that, I said that some people do in fact believe that a nuclear war will bring about Jesus' return lol
well, then you and I see eye-to-eye on this point: those people are whack jobs! :D

One quick read of the Old Testament shows you that this just isn't the case, especially for Yahweh.

I don't know what Old Testament you're reading, but God (or Yahweh) doesn't enjoy the suffering of humankind or promote war. What he does do is from time to time when humans become totally corrupt, is protect the righteous who put their faith in Him...and many times that means "handing over" nations in battle.

Face it Puzzlegirl, war is a big factor of religion.

didn't I just say that?

And still is today. For the amount of war to decrease, people need to come to terms with people of differing religions...

I agree. I think this whole "religion" thing is a cover for some groups own personal agenda. Like I said before, I am not an advocate of "religion."

Conflict is a necessary part of survival. HOWEVER, unnecessary confict is not!!! We must do all we can to promote peace where there is unnecessary conflict :D

I whole-heartedly agree! I think that everyone reading and posting on this thread would also fully agree with that statement. Well said, UR. ;D

So what do you say we put this whole "religion" thing behind us and just enjoy one another, huh UR? I know that I still very much enjoy thinking about your hard abs! :blush::D

Yeah war is a definite. It's basically human nature. In order for all to be peaceful, we would all have to think the same way, do everything the same, look the same way, etc. so that there could be no possible opening for discrimination. Which as we all know will never happen. It is conflict that drives this world. It is conflict that drives ourselves too. How many time shave you been pushed to try harder or to do better because you were beat once or because someone is closing in on your spot at the top? This is the basis for war. Granted I think war is a bit extreme, but it is the same concept. Ok I'll stop myself now before I continue to go on a tangent. :D

Yeah war is a definite. It's basically human nature. In order for all to be peaceful, we would all have to think the same way, do everything the same, look the same way, etc. so that there could be no possible opening for discrimination. Which as we all know will never happen. It is conflict that drives this world. It is conflict that drives ourselves too. How many time shave you been pushed to try harder or to do better because you were beat once or because someone is closing in on your spot at the top? This is the basis for war. Granted I think war is a bit extreme, but it is the same concept. Ok I'll stop myself now before I continue to go on a tangent. :D

You speak the truth, but at one point the earth will have peace, but it wont be humans fighting each other, but the other beings out there in the world.... thats if there is any. I think so, there has to be something but if not then we as humans will expland our world to other worlds and universes and fight amongst ourselves... again.

Despite the reasons we say war exists and 'will' be inevitable. Could we consider a reduction as a start

Find a different route to realise a goal. Take the Iraqi war/War on Terrorism jumping in with both feet as part of either a knee jerk reaction or to be seen as poitically correct (read that how you like; it can be political leaders trying to look like they are protecting citizens to keep power, or to be seen to drive back/keep out future attacks.) What if there was a simpler less destructive way, suing for peace, embargos, offering aid and help for disarming - and many more. The arms race, production of arms and selling for profit of arms is the way that all countries are looking too as the answer.

If all countries followed a code starting with reduction and restriction while heading for total disarmament and at the same time allowing unrestricted access to allow checking, then all countries be approving peace and showing good will which is what we all want - Is that to much to ask? Could the BrainDen peace club start this petitioning of ALL countries. It could be done.

Can we afford war? Can we afford peace?

You speak the truth, but at one point the earth will have peace, but it wont be humans fighting each other, but the other beings out there in the world.... thats if there is any. I think so, there has to be something but if not then we as humans will expland our world to other worlds and universes and fight amongst ourselves... again.

Pretty much. Even if we do join and fight for a common cause, what happens when the fight is won? Or even what happenes when the fight gets dragged on so long that people forget what they are fighting for? Case and point: 9/11...Americans all looked past their differences to join together in support for one another. Now we have an economic recession, we're fighting a war that no one seems to care about anymore, except for those of us that have family and friends overseas, and we can't even take care of our own in times of need and natural disasters....

Pretty much. Even if we do join and fight for a common cause, what happens when the fight is won? Or even what happenes when the fight gets dragged on so long that people forget what they are fighting for? Case and point: 9/11...Americans all looked past their differences to join together in support for one another. Now we have an economic recession, we're fighting a war that no one seems to care about anymore, except for those of us that have family and friends overseas, and we can't even take care of our own in times of need and natural disasters....

It's a war no one cares for because it serves no purpose... no one also respects mr. head honcho in the white house so then again no one cares for that reason

It's a war no one cares for because it serves no purpose... no one also respects mr. head honcho in the white house so then again no one cares for that reason

Oh trust me I know. I sure didn't vote for him...and yeah, my 'brother' is in the USAF stationed in Baghdad, and he was telling me it's pretty much pointless to be there with the exception of responding to the occasional bomb threat and listening to the sound of explosions...

I am not saying we NEED wars, and God is not saying we NEED wars...He just says that they will happen. "You will hear of wars and rumors of wars." That's not supposed to be a prophesy, just a statement...the important part is what he says next..."but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come." And so - like I said many many times now - I believe that some form of war is inevitable as long as humans exist...so I choose not to be afraid of such conflicts. On the other hand, I do not promote war as the best way to solve conflict either.

Oh I know - we both agree "There will be wars", it's a given. I was just pointing out that there already has been wars, and thus that has been 'fulfilled' and there isn't any war slot to fill anymore by your Biblical call that wars will happen, is what I was getting at it. It really doesn't matter, I was debating a minor point :P I agree that there will be more wars in the future

well, then you and I see eye-to-eye on this point: those people are whack jobs! :D

exactly!

I don't know what Old Testament you're reading, but God (or Yahweh) doesn't enjoy the suffering of humankind or promote war. What he does do is from time to time when humans become totally corrupt, is protect the righteous who put their faith in Him...and many times that means "handing over" nations in battle.

we're definitely speaking about the same OT

the OT god is evil

check this out too

I agree. I think this whole "religion" thing is a cover for some groups own personal agenda. Like I said before, I am not an advocate of "religion."

Definitely, religion is used as an excuse. But also, more often than you'd like to admit, as a reason in itself.

I whole-heartedly agree! I think that everyone reading and posting on this thread would also fully agree with that statement. Well said, UR. ;D

:P

So what do you say we put this whole "religion" thing behind us and just enjoy one another, huh UR? I know that I still very much enjoy thinking about your hard abs! :blush::D

;D

Since you INSIST on going down this path...

we're definitely speaking about the same OT

the OT god is evil

check this out too

ignoring the fact that many of those bullet points are taken GROSSLY out of context, your first site does nothing but prove my previous point...that God has stepped in to protect the righteous from the corrupt. Yea God!

The second site is just some ignoramous babbling his own made-up theories. He obviously has no understanding of the scripture nor does he care to be educated. Why not quote me David Koresh or Dane Cook or Darth Vader??

Definitely, religion is used as an excuse. But also, more often than you'd like to admit, as a reason in itself.

More often than I'd like to admit? I'll admit it until my face turns blue! I agree. Religion has been the root cause of many horrific incidents throughout history. That is why religion sucks...and a relationship with God is all that matters.

Now...can we get on to something more directly on topic or am I going to have to come over there and poke you in the abs! ;D

Now...can we get on to something more directly on topic or am I going to have to come over there and poke you in the abs! ;D

Ouch, mine still hurt from tubing this weekend....

I do have to agree with the fact that religion can cause problems. My thought, do what you gotta do and leave everyone else out of it. If you don't like what one person believes ignore them. If everyone took on this mentality, the world would be a much more peaceful, quieter place....perhaps too quiet....We all know there will be that one guy in his basement thinking up a plan to take of the world...or perhaps a lab rat with a freakishly large head....

or perhaps a lab rat with a freakishly large head....

hee hee!

Or perhaps a 16-year-old with a freakishly large brain!! I can see it now...the United Nations under Unreality. Gosh, according to Biblical prophesy (since you seem to be so interested) that would mean that you are the anti-Christ!! Dun-Dun-Dun!!!!

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader

Edit: quote added

Edited by puzzlegirl

hee hee!

Or perhaps a 16-year-old with a freakishly large brain!! I can see it now...the United Nations under Unreality. Gosh, according to Biblical prophesy (since you seem to be so interested) that would mean that you are the anti-Christ!! Dun-Dun-Dun!!!!

UNUU....when said aloud sounds like a distorded Oh noooo! A sign perhaps?

when fire and brimstone start scrolling across my screen then I shall panic... :D

Edited by Impervious

UNUU....when said aloud sounds like a distorded Oh noooo! A sign perhaps?

when fire and brimstone start scrolling across my screen then I shall panic... :D

..."but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come." B))

Was just wondering what people think of the War on Terror and the use of the word "Terror" in that sense? Is the "Terror" threat what it's made out to be or not? Is it neccessay or could be sorted out using peace?

War on Iraq, Afghanistan - where they neccessary, just, peace-achieving? And what now for those states? Especially Iraq.. should troops be pulled out? Obvious answers to those maybe.. maybe not? What do people think?

I'm a big politics-head and have alot of my own views, most of which don't usually follow the majority's views. For example: who would fellow Braindenzians blame for the afore-mentioned Terror threat? Religion? Terrorists? Big World Powers i.e the U.S, Britain etc.? I'll give my own views on these things after a while :D

Edit: added sentence

:P

Edited by Joe's Student

I've actually found this to be completely on topic.

I mean, most of what we're discussing is why war can never go away, there will always be conflict.

I think religion has a very direct relationship with war.

So there you go.

Or perhaps a 16-year-old with a freakishly large brain!! I can see it now...the United Nations under Unreality.

16? I thought he was 15!!!!

Tarnations...

I've actually found this to be completely on topic.

I mean, most of what we're discussing is why war can never go away, there will always be conflict.

I think religion has a very direct relationship with war.

So there you go.

I meant the idea that God is evil. That's an entirely different debate.

16? I thought he was 15!!!!

Tarnations...

birthdays happen. -_-

Was just wondering what people think of the War on Terror...

I'll quote myself from my post way-back-when on the Peace Club Sign-Up thread:

Personally, I am a strong believer in the war the US is fighting against terrorists. I don't necessarily agree on every decision that's been made in that war, but I think the war is necessary and I am not ready for it to end until the terrorist groups are brought down.

So...I agree with Slick, I am not an Anti-War activist. Do I wish that things could be settled peacably...OF COURSE! But the terrorists aren't playing that way and will not listen to reason. So this war needs to happen...and I wish other nations would step in to help hunt down these terrorist groups and sleeper cells and disband them by any means necessary.

I just joined this and didn’t bother reading everything that was said.

I think war is horrible and should be avoided at all costs. However, there is the very real concept of a just war. World War II is a great example, as well as the Civil War. It would have been more peaceful in the world if we just continued to let Nazis kill millions of innocent people and kept on enslaving human beings right?

Just because the current war in Iraq is not a just or meaningful war does not mean that EVERY war is pointless.

If everyone in the whole world could just get along then there would be no wars. This will never happen, and I feel that we need to fight when it’s necessary.

The war in Iraq should end, and wish that Washington would have put all their resources instead into building hoverboards.