Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is Correct

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#71 Impulse

Impulse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:32 AM

yes because dont you use "are" for plural subjects, not exactly numbers?

#72 Randyd503

Randyd503

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:00 AM

Actually, if it is a math question...
7 AND 5 is 5 (logical and)

If and implies addition, the expression is FALSE (because 7 + 5 == 13 is not true).

Just ading a diferent twist.

#73 BeccaAnn

BeccaAnn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

it doesn't equal 13 it equals 12 and its is

#74 Dupie137

Dupie137

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

I don't really think it's a question entirely about math. Wouldn't the word "makes" or "equals" need to be in there to make you add? or "the sum of seven and five is..."

The words is and are imply a state of being which numbers by themselves do not have. To me the only way this statement makes sense is to say that seven and five are numbers of some kind of nouns. I guess they would be pronouns in the statement. And 13 is another sort of designation.

Apples and oranges are fruit.

That being said I didn't see it as asking me to add the numbers together. I saw them as seperate objects. Maybe 13 year old students (wouldn't that be about right for the age group of this sort of question?)

Seven and five are thirteen.

Seven is thirteen
Five is thirteen

Seven and five equal twelve...
The sum of seven and five is twelve...

Also, another point. The information given by the question supports my logic. I just made up my own story as to how either statement could be correct. To me it asks which statement is correct. Not if 7+5=13.

If I had a teacher ask my kid this, then tell him he was wrong because he answered "ARE" I would be pretty pissed.

This question is probably why half of people that speak english say "apples IS good" instead of "apples ARE good"

I see your point, but this is math (a trick question, anyway), not grammar. By using the two figures merging together, I'd say "is", as long as the is/are is after the "and", I'm sticking with this.

#75 kidsranqe

kidsranqe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:27 AM

dude 7+5 is 12...

#76 cmabb21

cmabb21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

I feel bad for the people answering that it's 12 not 13.
After reading all of the previous replies, one can assume that both "seven and five is thirteen", and "seven and five are thirteen" are both correct. "and" doesnt mean addition.

It all depends on whether "7 and 5" is one expression or two.

7 and 5 IS 13 because 7+5 is one mathematical expression
Also in some weird way, 7+5 can equal 13 as Mythx said.

7 and 5 ARE 13 because "7" and "5" are considered two different expressions

#77 jsai3334

jsai3334

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

I feel bad for the people answering that it's 12 not 13.
After reading all of the previous replies, one can assume that both "seven and five is thirteen", and "seven and five are thirteen" are both correct. "and" doesnt mean addition.

It all depends on whether "7 and 5" is one expression or two.

7 and 5 IS 13 because 7+5 is one mathematical expression
Also in some weird way, 7+5 can equal 13 as Mythx said.

7 and 5 ARE 13 because "7" and "5" are considered two different expressions

Yeah, I agree. One expression on two?

#78 jimi

jimi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

i would neither as five and seven is thirteen, doesn't make grammatical sense. unless it refers to a group; yet this was posted as a maths problem the answer 5 & 7 is 13 is proved incorrect. five and seven are thirteen is also wrong due the word thirteen. however the phrase could refer to a small part of more elaborated information; that is there is too little contain within only the five words in both phrases. thus 5 & 7 are 13 is incorrect. therefore as both have been proven to be incorrect results aligned with the given information i would say the result in: more information needed to accurately assess the question set. primarily are the five and seven both refered to as a group; or are five and seven both refed to as two separate entities.

#79 hambone

hambone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

i would neither as five and seven is thirteen, doesn't make grammatical sense. unless it refers to a group; yet this was posted as a maths problem the answer 5 & 7 is 13 is proved incorrect. five and seven are thirteen is also wrong due the word thirteen. however the phrase could refer to a small part of more elaborated information; that is there is too little contain within only the five words in both phrases. thus 5 & 7 are 13 is incorrect. therefore as both have been proven to be incorrect results aligned with the given information i would say the result in: more information needed to accurately assess the question set. primarily are the five and seven both refered to as a group; or are five and seven both refed to as two separate entities.

Hey Jimi, 5 & 7 are 12 or is 12, I don't care how you say it, it's never gonna be 13 though.

#80 HB921

HB921

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:10 AM

Is it correct that seven and five is thirteen or seven and five are thirteen?

The answer is "NO"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users