Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is Correct

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#41 gwg

gwg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:44 PM

If the question were posed using the digits 13 then you might be able to use the base-9 'logic'....

However, the question was posed with the text 'thirteen'. The word thirteen is 13(base-10), period. if the text were 'one three, base nine'....then, ok.

Edited by gwg, 29 February 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#42 not me

not me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:32 PM

What is Correct - Back to the Logic Puzzles
Is it correct that seven and five is thirteen or seven and five are thirteen?

Spoiler for Solution

u got me i had think for second :D :wub:

#43 SpelChexRool

SpelChexRool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:38 AM

I suppose it's also too late to point out that the digits '13' in base-9 are equal to twelve in base-10. The number system that Mythx is looking for is base-11. However, like you said, the nomenclature 'thirteen' is only meaningful in base-10, since it is a linguistic blend of three and ten (a number that by definition cannot exist in base-9).

I do have to admit that it was a clever direction to go, though... It reminds me of the old computer joke:
There are only 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't...

If the question were posed using the digits 13 then you might be able to use the base-9 'logic'....

However, the question was posed with the text 'thirteen'. The word thirteen is 13(base-10), period. if the text were 'one three, base nine'....then, ok.

#44 Catlo

Catlo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:55 PM

7+5=12 not 13. Also, as an answer to the is or are part of the question, it's are. This is of course if grammar still means s***. :huh:

#45 Talha

Talha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:40 PM

both are wrong 7+5=12

#46 Emmz

Emmz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Lol i neerly fell for it im soo stupid [/font]

#47 hopstop

hopstop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

Neither, 5 and 7 are TWELVE... learn to count.

the way the question is worded it makes it a grammer question, in which case one of them is correct, if its a maths question then neither are correct.

#48 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:43 PM

What is Correct - Back to the Logic Puzzles
Is it correct that seven and five is thirteen or seven and five are thirteen?

Spoiler for Solution

seven and five are numbers - you can add them of course!

#49 Justy

Justy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

I don't see how there has been so much confusion and pointless discussion about this one.
This is intended as a children's riddle/question.

Would there be confusion if the question said

"Is it correct that seven add five is thirteen OR that seven add five are thirteen?"

It doesn't matter at all about the grammatical sentence because even if the grammar is incorrect the entire sense of the statements is false.
Also the question does not imply that either statement is correct. "It is correct ..." at the start would imply this.

#50 dawgsrule93

dawgsrule93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

First of all, 7+5=12, not 13.

In math, when spoken verbally, the correct grammar is "Seven and five is twelve because you are combining seven and five to make a single whole of twelve. Twelve is being used as a collective noun in this sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users