Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is Correct

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

#21 Mythx

Mythx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

Comperr, I must disappoint you. 7 + 5 = 13, is most certainly correct. It is correct when performed in base-9. I know this sounds very pedantic, but it just is.

Conversions from base-x to base-10
13 in base-10: 1 * 10^1 + 3 * 10^0 = 10 + 3 = 13
13 in base-9: 1 * 9^1 + 3 * 9^0 = 9 + 3 = 12

There we go, the correct answer.

#22 comperr

comperr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:16 AM

This is true. It is not something I thought of because as a programmer "I only work with 2, 8 , 10, and 16.
But that is true

#23 Mythx

Mythx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:09 PM

I thought of it because of the joke "6 * 9 = 42", this joke is from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's performed in base-13.

#24 comperr

comperr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:06 AM

right - yeah.

#25 twittbrod

twittbrod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

A a linguist I have to say that you got this one wrong. Just because something is not true does not make it incorrect grammar and vice versa:

The sky [is | are] red.
The answer is "is" despite the statement being incorrect.

Grammatical correctness does not imply correctness as a whole. The nature of a brain teaser is that it challenges us to look at many angles. Thus, regardless of the grammatical correctness, the content of the statement must also be correct for the entire statement to be correct.

#26 comperr

comperr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Is it correct that seven and five is thirteen or seven and five are thirteen?

The 'or' implies that at least one is correct. As only once change has occurred we must assume that the correctness refers to the change.

#27 spazchik

spazchik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:15 AM

In the question, it obviously amplifies the fact that the answer is concerning whether or not it is grammaticaly correct to say 'is' thirteen, or 'are' thirteen. So the answer is 'is', and the technicality of the real answer is unimportant.

#28 spazchik

spazchik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:18 AM

In the question, it obviously amplifies the fact that the answer is concerning whether or not it is grammaticaly correct to say 'is' thirteen, or 'are' thirteen. So the answer is 'is', and the technicality of the real answer is unimportant.

#29 splice

splice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

Hi spazchik,
There are 7 children standing in a row, each with a number/label (1 thru 7). Child 5 is thiteen years old, child 7 is also thirteen.
So, 5 and 7 'are' thirteen.

#30 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:02 AM

I thought of it because of the joke "6 * 9 = 42", this joke is from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's performed in base-13.

DARN, that thing has always puzzled me, and you tell me the obvious in so little words. I was always guessing someone made a translation error (I read it in Dutch), so I never thought of base-conversion.

Thanx for beating some sense into me.

BoilingOil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users