Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trains

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

Trains - Back to the Cool Math Games
A passenger train leaves New York for Boston traveling at the speed of 80 km/hr. In half an hour a freight train leaves Boston for New York traveling at the speed of 60 km/hr.
Which train will be further from New York when they meet?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

Spoiler for old wording

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 natterbox

natterbox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

just a bit obvious!

#3 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Im a Moron. I can't believe I sat and did the math on this one before it hit me... LOL

#4 dishkyaaoonn

dishkyaaoonn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

This is not fair... It totally depends on the distance between the two stations. For people not familiar with these cities and the distance between them it may not be that obvious.

#5 cloud9ine

cloud9ine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

Im a Moron. I can't believe I sat and did the math on this one before it hit me... LOL

no you're not.. The moron came and posted right after you!!

#6 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

zing! xD

that was a good question. i'm stealing it.

#7 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

LMAO I didn't even realize what he posted. I love it. Suddenly, I don't feel so stupid anymore...

#8 W_Stilwell

W_Stilwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Am I the only one who thinks there are missing variables here? or is it my missing knowledge of the geography around NY that is keeping me from solving this problem?

#9 chazoell

chazoell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 02:38 AM

LMAO

#10 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

Am I the only one who thinks there are missing variables here? or is it my missing knowledge of the geography around NY that is keeping me from solving this problem?

I Love it....

Alrighty,,, I'm going to try to explain this one last time... WHY? I don't know, just for the shear fun of seeing how many of you will STILL NOT GET IT....

THE QUESTION IS A SHAM... IT DOES NOT MATTER THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE POINTS. LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS. LETS SAY YOU ARE AT ONE END OF YOUR STREET, WE WILL CALL YOUR SIDE "SIDE-A" AND I AM AT THE OTHER "SIDE-B". WE ARE BOTH ON BICYCLES. WE START HEADING TOWARD EACHOTHER. ONE IS TRAVELING FASTER THAN THE OTHER, BUT YOU DO NOT KNOW WHICH ONE. "WHEN WE SMACK INTO EACHOTHER, WHO IS CLOSER TO SIDE "A"??? your focusing on the fact that it is impossible to calculate the distance if you do not have more information, which is obvious. It WOULD be impossible to calculate unless you knew how fast they were going, and the distances between the two, HOWEVER......That's not the case....
THE ANSWER IS """""WE ARE AT THE SAME POINT BECAUSE WE JUST SMACKED INTO EACHOTHER""" NEITHER IS CLOSER, WE ARE AT THE SAME POINT. I MEAN, YOU COULD ARGUE IT SAYING THAT THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD IS CLOSER, BUT COME ON... THE POINT IS THAT THE DISTANCE/TIME RATIO DOES NOT MATTER IF THE 2 TRAINS SMACK INTO EACHOTHER. AT THAT POINT, THEY ARE THE SAME DISTANCE FROM BOTH SIDES....

Get it?

I THINK I explained it well,,,, I dunno

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users