Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A First Time for Everything?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GmEiNnIdUS

GmEiNnIdUS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

A young boy was annoyed with his father's favorite saying: "There's a first time for everything." Determined to prove his father wrong, he stayed up all night, until he finally found the one existing thing that there was no first time for.

What is the exception to this age old rule?

#2 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:58 AM

This depends on how narrowly you define any given "thing." For example, if you create any logical paradox or an infinity loop, you can evade a "first time;" but if you add a further defining characteristic to the example, you then modify the paradox or loop to have a "first".

For example - existance. If you define existance as coming from something else, then you loop into deconstructing God or the Big Bang. However, if you then define existance of humans, you have a defining start point and a "first time". Same is true of time - you always have a moment before the moment, but if you define it further - time as we know it, or time in this universe, then you have a "first time".

Just my 2 centavos.

#3 mwh

mwh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:07 AM

Spoiler for solution

#4 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:13 AM

I was thinking that maybe their isn't a first time for something that's impossible, I can't give any examples though, without someone saying it might happen in the future, or offending religious people.

#5 infomaniac.nick

infomaniac.nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

There will never be a first time for an unstoppable missile to come in contact with an indistructable barrier!

Technically when this happens one will be stopped or destroyed and negate the description of said object!

#6 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

There will never be a first time for an unstoppable missile to come in contact with an indistructable barrier!

A condition of the puzzle is "he finally found the one existing thing that there was no first time for". Since your scenario can not possibly exist, that can't be the answer.

#7 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:24 AM

yeah, mwh's makes sense.
A first time for something that can only happen once, cuz it'd really be the last time as well

#8 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5833 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:48 AM

Spoiler for solution

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#9 hipowertech

hipowertech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:43 PM

I too am interested to hear the answer to the riddle.

My first response was GOD. But also we must remember that the solution is a thing. GOD is not a thing but a Being.

Then I went back to the question, wherin usually lies the key.
The boy stayed up all night until he found the one thing that was the exception.

I believe the answer has to do with dawn, or our sleep cycle. Though I am not certain of the answer, I AM certain that one of you will come up with it.

Hurry up for goodness sake, I've been working on this for 24 hours now.

Peace

#10 Taidaishar

Taidaishar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Best I could come up with so far is....

Spoiler for solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users