Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yo-yo!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 mdsl

mdsl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

I said I needed a better answer!
The Yo-yo cannot fall!

Your sentence "How could you sever the string without holding the yo-yo or the string in any other way, so that it would not fall" is ambiguous.

It says "How could you sever the string so that it would not fall" 'it' clearly being the string, with the conditions "without holding the yo-yo or the string in any other way."

I assume you're withholding a better answer and I think you should share it with us already.

#12 infomaniac.nick

infomaniac.nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

I assume you're withholding a better answer and I think you should share it with us already.

If you tie a knot in the string, so that there is a loop that hangs freely you can then cut it and the yo-yo will not fall

#13 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

Don't know how you tie a yo-yo to your finger, as most people use a slip knot to attach it and therefore would have no wasteful pieces on the end

Don't know how you tie a slip knot without a piece at the end.
http://www.yoyoguy.c...oyo/index2.html

I need a better answer that applies to the question at hand

My answer actually is better. Your riddle starts with "Imangine that you have a yo-yo that is fully unwound.
Dangling freely above the ground and still attached to your finger"

Your answer requires tying a knot which would be hard to do without holding the string or the yo-yo or tying the knot in advance. My answer requires doing neither of those things and involves only a yo-yo with a standard slip knot (which most people don't trim so close there isn't room to trim off a little more).

#14 stahl8

stahl8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

Tie a knot in the rope allowing a loop independent of the knot. cut the loop severing the string and the knot would hold the yo-yo in place....

#15 cpotting

cpotting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

a) lower the yo-yo to the ground and then cut the string.

B) you said "Imagine". Okay - I will imagine that the yo-you stays suspended in the air.

Not the answers you wanted, but what-the-hey!

#16 Riddari

Riddari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:12 AM

I agree with Martini. Tying a knot in the string would require to the hold the string and possibly the yo-you in some "other way", which then violates a condition of the puzzle. Also, having a know it the string violates the scenario in which states that the string is "fully unwound" and the yo-yo is "Dangling freely above the ground".

My solution, while not very feasible, is to slice the string vertically. I am not sure if this would qualify as severing the string without cutting the string completely in two, which would be extremely difficult to do this way.

#17 jpaterson3

jpaterson3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:02 AM

do this in an oblect in free fall (zero gravity)

#18 sajow4

sajow4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:58 AM

Your answer makes little sense, but I liked jpaterson3's answer. Very clever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users