Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Beggar

• Please log in to reply
839 replies to this topic

#831 Impervious

Impervious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2413 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

Besides, when you make non-character roles, you have much more freedom as a host in making any kind of roles to add to the game and add your own elements and not be restricted the storyline too :D

btw Impervious thanks for PDFing the guide, that was awesome B))

any time :)

#832 Impervious

Impervious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2413 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

For those wanting the PDF version I made (doesn't include the links to all Mafias) you can get it here

Newbies Guide to Mafias

Directions:
Windows: Right click and choose 'Save Link As'
Mac: ctrl + click and choose 'Save Link As'

or simply click the link and view the PDF in your web browser.

#833 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

newest Mafia VIII. I made some wording changes as well as key changes (highlighted in red), as well as some quest changes (which I'm not going to show of course :D)

Spoiler for Mafia VIII

Edited by unreality, 20 November 2008 - 11:13 PM.

#834 dawh

dawh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

Unreality, I have a comment on your Mafia Guide...

I really liked how the whole thing is indexed and there is a lot of useful information in there, but I have to disagree with you on the part of the hosts section dealing with gendered roles.

First off, my primary peeve is with the English language for failing to have a generic third-person singular pronoun, but as it doesn't exist, my pet peeve is to use the generic third-person plural "they" in its place. :P It may not be the politically correct thing to do, but when the situation is not gender-specific, it is generally accepted to adopt one or the other and just be consistent (ie. his or her.) I've never let the gender of a role bother me. I have just as much fun playing the game whether the character is male or female and I often find it amusing when my (female) character is repeatedly referred to in the night/day posts and people don't associate the character with me (ie. M4F14. B)) ;) )

I wouldn't chase prospective hosts away from gendered roles if they want to do them; it's really their call because it's their brainchild. I don't think that it ruins the suspension of disbelief that much (if at all :D ) to use gendered roles. Especially on a web forum. It's not like we're doing this face-to-face. For all we know, everyone on this site is engaged in their own private suspension of disbelief pretending to be the opposite gender. If I remember correctly, the profile allows to set the gender yourself (rather than having the computer run an anatomical check on you. :lol: ;) )

I haven't seen gendered roles chase anyone away from a game here on this site, so I just wanted to let potential hosts know not to be discouraged about that sort of thing just because the BrainDenMafiaGuru said so. :P

Oh and I really like Mafia VIII; it looks very interesting and I just realized an interesting strategy regarding the City Guard, so I'm not too concerned about that role anymore. :D I'd be interested to see how the game balances.

#835 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

I'll make a couple of moot pointsw or so

1, Gender..re dawh's comment, he/she gendered roles - I agree and often thought that the use of they wld be perfect... then realesed tthat 'they' are often confused and they did not attack and they played safe.... plural or singular - needs careful righting.. easier with gendered roles ... from now on i want ot be known as Lauretta and have the right to have children!

2. the terrorist role seems to have the hardest win condition. Can't die the first night and day and kills every second night only and has to work has to possibley kill defender first if the mafia and a lynch has not done it for him, therfore trying to keep the mafia in the game and the townies on death row while not giving themself away.. so four nights and a lot of luck guessing who is who is an enormous weight to carry along with the burden of no info available through spy/reveal etc and no one to save 'them' either (them is the single plural issue again)

thats it for now - not read much of mafai VIII but looks very interesting

#836 Kathleen

Kathleen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2557 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hey everyone, just giving a heads up that Reaymond and I will be co-hosting a "James Bond Mafia" sometime soon, PM Reaymond to sign up :D
<(^-^)>

#837 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

Dawh: yeah I know that "they" is bad grammar - I actually learned that in English class this year ;D Since then I've made a point of incorporating more he/she whenever I can as opposed to "they", but "they" has become a good fit and I think the English language has changed a bit.... "they" should be proper to represent an unknown singular ;D But I know it's wrong grammar, so I've been trying to incorporate more he/she :)

As for gendered roles, as I've stated it's just a personal opinion of mine :D To me it just makes the game less desirable and more artificial. So gendered roles is just an opinion-based matter, really

But more of what I was trying to attack was "characters" as opposed to "roles". Mafia is not an RPG or a re-enactment of some form of popular fiction... fundamentally I am against 'naming' roles after characters from a movie/TVshow. One of the reasons I abanonded LOST Mafia :)

Anyway, thanks for the compliment about the guide ;D

LIS: There is no 'terrorist' role in Mafia VIII... I'm not sure where you're coming from? :huh: I think you're referring to the Grim Reaper in past games? I agree, the GR was tough and I think a lot of luck was involved too, unless they were a highly skilled player ;D

#838 filly678

filly678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:45 PM

Hmmm... I'm thinking of hosting an "Advance Wars Mafia." Here's my ideas for characters. Some characters will have secret abilities, but will

Orange Star (Baddies):

Have been kicking a** and taking names all throughout the series. No wonder why everyone hates them.

WINCON: Become majority and eliminate the independent.

Has BTSC and one kill per night.

Andy: Can PM the host at any time to send a message from Orange Star.
Secret ability: ?

Max: With those huge arms, he knocks out one player during the night.

Sami: Can change one vote during the daytime.

Everyone else (Goodies):

WINCON: Kill all the baddies and the independent.

Olaf: Has the power of snow on his side. Slows down someone, thus preventing them from moving.

Grit: Good at gathering intelligence. Spies on one player and learns their action.

Kanbei: The killer for the innocents. He's kind of a moron, but he's hard to kill.
Has a kill every even night. Invincible for Night 1. Can be lynched, but you have to hit him two times at night to kill him.

Sonja: Even better at gathering intelligence and keeping it. Spies on one player each night and learns their role.

Eagle: Has a kill/save per night. However, he can use both abilities in the same turn. If he does that, there's a 30% chance the baddies will learn his identity.

Drake: Easy to work with. Has an RID per night. If he gets it right, he gets BTSC with them. (might change)

Independent:

?????: No one knows who he is or what he's doing in Wars World. He has a plethora of abilities to use.
Each night I roll a die.
1: Save self
2: Spy action
3: Spy role
4: Blocks action
5: Removes vote
6: Any of the above.

WINCON: Outlive Max and Eagle.

#839 dawh

dawh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hmmm... I'm thinking of hosting an "Advance Wars Mafia." Here's my ideas for characters. Some characters will have secret abilities, but will

I haven't read over the character list, but you might be better served by posting this in a separate thread, rather than digging up this ancient one. This one is/was useful for certain things, but I think it would be better to have a "Suggestions for Advance Wars Mafia" thread, rather than posting it here. This was orginally designed for more abstract discussion of ideas and strategies, with some possible characters that might be interesting to include. I don't think many people used this to post a fully-fledged game idea... :unsure:

#840 peace*out

peace*out

Adult Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4891 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

If anyone needed a mafia idea, i was surfing around the DC forums and i found this:
http://forums.dragca...113873&st=0&hl=

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users