BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

5 short ones

Question

1)What is it that you can keep after giving it to someone else?

2)What is round as a dishpan, deep as a tub, and still the oceans couldn't fill it up?

3)Scarcely was the father in this world when the son could be found sitting on the roof.

4)What goes up the chimney down, but can't go down the chimney up?

5)When one does not know what it is, then it is something; but when one knows what it is, then it is nothing.

My mind is a sieve with the holes getting bigger every day.

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have to agree with sandstorm. I have not seen an answer yet to explain question #3.

Aaron Burr - do you agree that it is fire/smoke?

3. I thought of the "scarcely" part more like "hardly" or "barely" instead of "newly" as it seems the fire/smoke crowd interpreted. The first thing that came to my mind was an astronaut, but I guess I'm too literal.

2)What is round as a dishpan, deep as a tub, and still the oceans couldn't fill it up?

3)Scarcely was the father in this world when the son could be found sitting on the roof.

5)When one does not know what it is, then it is something; but when one knows what it is, then it is nothing.

a cold

a hole? a tub with the drain open?

uhh...

smoke

the unknown

I can't believe no one said herpes for #1!

Silly Neal.... thats what you give.... others don't :)

1)What is it that you can keep after giving it to someone else? Any number of STD's, Your word, I like the hand one.....

2)What is round as a dishpan, deep as a tub, and still the oceans couldn't fill it up? My dogs stomach.

4)What goes up the chimney down, but can't go down the chimney up? Umbrella makes sense... yet not.... why would you put an umbrella in the chimney? (thats the real riddle)

1. herpes?

2. a tube without a bottom?

3. Was the father an astronaut who's son sat on the roof while he was in space?

4. a burning feather pillow?

5. a question?

these are just my guesses...

#5 Is that supposed to be a question or when something is nothing then nothing is something?

3)Let the father be the light and light creates a shadow, so the son is the shadow. So when the shadow is sitting on the roof, light scarcely exists where the shadow is.

1. Smile

2. Sieve

3. Father is the Sun and son is the Moon. (Perhaps son is snow)

4. May be Smoke

5. Secret

Edited by Vishmi

1. A cold.

2. A sieve.

5)When one does not know what it is, then it is something; but when one knows what it is, then it is nothing

#1 Could be either your name or your word. A father gives his name to his son, etc. OR You can give your word and you can keep your word after giving it. (Herpes? C'mon we're talking classic puzzles here not social commentary)

#2 Is a sieve - the Oceans can't fill it.

#3 Fire and Smoke. The reference to the Father being in this world and the son sitting on the roof is a metaphor - Scarcely has the fire been lit when the smoke is seen "on the roof" - coming out of the chimney. Fire is the Father of Smoke.

#4 the classic answer to this one is an umbrella

Edited by Bill47

i cant believe nobody get these:

1)What is it that you can keep after giving it to someone else? -YOUR NAME

2)What is round as a dishpan, deep as a tub, and still the oceans couldn't fill it up? (A WELL, an old kindergarten riddle)

3)Scarcely was the father in this world when the son could be found sitting on the roof. -FIRE AND SMOKE

4)What goes up the chimney down, but can't go down the chimney up? -UMBRELLA

5)When one does not know what it is, then it is something; but when one knows what it is, then it is nothing -NOTHING