Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The liar, the truth teller....and the random answerer

Best Answer Writersblock, 30 July 2007 - 01:31 AM

Martini,

Spoiler for ...
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#11 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

niiiiiiice! :D

#12 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

Yes, very nice job, Writersblock, and a good job at providing an explanation also.

#13 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

*CHEERS*

#14 propsguy

propsguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:53 PM

Holy crap is that good Writersblock!

I'm looking for the "Bow-down" key on my computer.

#15 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:19 PM

ask them if the first man is the liar:
if the first man says Yes, you know he's the Random man ®, because neither the Liar (L) or Truth-teller (T) could say "yes" to that.
now if the first man said no, he is either L or T. If he is L, T will say "yes he's L" and R will say either. If he is T, L will say "yes he's L". R will say either. Hmm. Is this the right start to solving it?

If you had written, ask one of them if he is a liar, this could easily be done with that as a first question. Can anyone tell me how?

#16 Emapher

Emapher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:13 PM

If you ask the first man " if i asked him (pointing to the middle man) if he was a liar what would he say?"
If the first man was the liar and the middle man is the truth he would answer " Yes"
If the first man was the truth and the middle man the liar he would answer "No"

If the first man answered "yes" I would then ask him if he is a liar. If he is indeed is the Liar he will answer "NO"
If the first man answered "no" I would then ask the second man if he is a liar. and again he will answer "NO" if he is.

Once the liar and the truth telled have been determined i would then ask the liar if the third person (who hadent been asked anything so far) was the random one being a liar he will say "No" if we are correct. However if he says "yes" Then this means that the Random person was having a truthful day and we have mistaken them for each other and there you go!

Right??

#17 spishak8

spishak8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:03 AM

Did you leave out an option if the liar answers the first question yes? If he answers yes it could either be LTR or LRT. That means the second question doesn't work because there will be a random guy in every possible position. This is in response to Writersblock.

Edited by spishak8, 12 March 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#18 Philosophus

Philosophus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

I have heard a version of this one before but with the additional challenge that they will only answer Og or Ug. Og and Ug mean Yes and No but you don't know which is which (you don't speak their language). How does this effect the solution?

#19 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6048 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:30 AM

I have heard a version of this one before but with the additional challenge that they will only answer Og or Ug. Og and Ug mean Yes and No but you don't know which is which (you don't speak their language). How does this effect the solution?

Post #7 in this thread explains how to get around the uncertain meanings of the Yes/No words.

A leader's credentials do not hang on his wall. They are written by the lives of the people he has led.

#20 timmy!!

timmy!!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

i need ask one question only....

the question is: is the one on the left the liar?

and i ask it to you (the originator of the quandary)

B))

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users