Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The liar, the truth teller....and the random answerer

Best Answer Writersblock, 30 July 2007 - 01:31 AM

Martini,

Spoiler for ...
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

There is a truth teller (always tells the truth), a liar (always lies), and one that sometimes answers truthfully and sometimes lies. Each man knows who is who. You may ask three yes or no questions to determine who is who. Each time you ask a question, it must only be directed to one of the men (of your choice). You may ask the same question more than once, but of course it will count towards your total. What are your questions and to whom will you ask them?

#2 Slick_Rick9009

Slick_Rick9009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

Have you found a solution, or are you just seeing what people come up with?

I've thought about it and can't a way except this.

Ask two men if they are men.
You will definately ask the other man if he is (by other I mean the man that lies and tells the truth.)
Since he can do both, I'm sure he'll yes yes. So will the truthteller.
If on says no then you know who the liar is.
If both say yes, then you still know who the liar is.
Ask the liar if the first is the truthteller and the second is the liar (the first and second being the two that aren't the liar obviously.)
If he says yes then it is the other way around. If he says no then you are right.

Again, this is assuming that the man that can choose to tell the truth aor a lie will choose to tell teh truth and say he is a man. If he doesn't, then this could work, if you ask the right people. But, asking the right ones would be by chance and would not be reproducably effective.

#3 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:46 PM

Have you found a solution, or are you just seeing what people come up with?

Both.

Ask two men if they are men.
You will definately ask the other man if he is (by other I mean the man that lies and tells the truth.)

If you only ask two men if they are men, how do you come up with "you will definitely ask the other man if he is"?

Since he can do both, I'm sure he'll yes yes. So will the truthteller.

If the man can both lie and tell the truth, how did you come to the conclusion "I'm sure he'll yes yes"? (I'm guessing you meant to write "I'm sure he'll say yes.") There's no reason to be sure the man who lies and tells the truth will answer "yes".

The rest of your reply is incorrect based on your above conclusions.

#4 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

ask them if the first man is the liar:
if the first man says Yes, you know he's the Random man ®, because neither the Liar (L) or Truth-teller (T) could say "yes" to that.
now if the first man said no, he is either L or T. If he is L, T will say "yes he's L" and R will say either. If he is T, L will say "yes he's L". R will say either. Hmm. Is this the right start to solving it?

#5 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:33 PM

Is this the right start to solving it?

It's not the start to the solution that I came up with, but I do believe you are on your way coming up with an alternate solution that also works. If he answers 'yes' to your question, you can actually solve the riddle with only two questions.

#6 aZameGa

aZameGa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:43 PM

Martini very good question...

to solve this you have to... line them up back to back and ask ur questions? (at least this is how I started it)

I solved this puzzle before. Its actually very fun to work on

I hope this hint helps...

good luck...

#7 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

but I do believe you are on your way coming up with an alternate solution that also works.

I take it back. I can't think of any following questions that would solve the riddle if starting off with the question you asked.

#8 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

lol k

#9 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:54 AM

ask them if the first man is the liar:
if the first man says Yes, you know he's the Random man ®, because neither the Liar (L) or Truth-teller (T) could say "yes" to that.
now if the first man said no, he is either L or T. If he is L, T will say "yes he's L" and R will say either. If he is T, L will say "yes he's L". R will say either. Hmm. Is this the right start to solving it?

This isn't correct. R could also say No to the question. Yes will give you R but No will not eliminate him.

#10 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:31 AM   Best Answer

Martini,
Spoiler for ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users