Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

burning paper

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 chu121su12

chu121su12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

I don't really think you will see the flames, because you don't be asked to lit it. :P

If it should be done, just lit the match, drop it on the paper and just drop it again at instant.
Papers should be strong enough not to get burned.

Or, if your paper is easily get burned: lit the match, look the paper from the top, drop the match between you and the paper, remove the paper before your match touch the paper.

You now can see flames on paper.

#22 ssxm

ssxm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

laminate the paper

#23 miya

miya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

drop the match from a ladder, that way, you'll see flames, but the match will blow out before it hits the paper. ;)

Edited by miya, 29 February 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#24 Scraff

Scraff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:53 PM

drop the match from a ladder, that way, you'll see flames, but the match will blow out before it hits the paper. ;)

And what is it you've done to the paper? What you and about the last five posters don't seem to get has already been explained by Martini. Something must be done to the paper so that if a match is dropped on it, flames will be seen but the paper won't burn. ssxm said to laminate the paper. That is at least doing something to the paper so that it won't burn, but it does not cause flames so that answer doesn't work.

"What can you do paper so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames and not burn the paper?"

What you do to the paper must both be a reason for seeing flames and for the paper not burning.

Martini's answer works because the alcohol solution results in flames and also results in the paper not burning.

#25 LordDrakka

LordDrakka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

you could soak the paper in wated and pour alchohol on top light the alchohol it burn until it evaporates and no burny paper

#26 miya

miya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

And what is it you've done to the paper? What you and about the last five posters don't seem to get has already been explained by Martini. Something must be done to the paper so that if a match is dropped on it, flames will be seen but the paper won't burn. ssxm said to laminate the paper. That is at least doing something to the paper so that it won't burn, but it does not cause flames so that answer doesn't work.

"What can you do paper so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames and not burn the paper?"

What you do to the paper must both be a reason for seeing flames and for the paper not burning.

Martini's answer works because the alcohol solution results in flames and also results in the paper not burning.

What you're "doing to the paper" is putting it at a great distance from the match. Lighting the match itself is already seeing flames, the paper does not necessarily have to be near the flames, the match has to be dropped on the paper. As long as you have eyes, lighting the match is satisfying the condition of seeing flames.

I hate this forum, everyone always has something to say to refute people's answers/opinions, even if they're valid.

#27 Scraff

Scraff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

What you're "doing to the paper" is putting it at a great distance from the match.

No, you're raising the match higher, that isn't doing something to the paper.

Lighting the match itself is already seeing flames

Exactly. So something must be done to the paper that causes more flames to be seen.

If you drop a match but the flame goes out before it hits the paper, then dropping a match on it didn't cause flames. You are ignoring "so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames".

the paper does not necessarily have to be near the flames, the match has to be dropped on the paper. As long as you have eyes, lighting the match is satisfying the condition of seeing flames.

But the riddle wants there to be flames seen because of the match hitting the paper. Martini's answer works- your doesn't.

I hate this forum, everyone always has something to say to refute people's answers/opinions, even if they're valid.

Ahh, don't be a hater. Refuting others answers is part of the game. Oh, and yours wasn't valid for the reasons shown. :lol:

#28 miya

miya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:05 AM

No, you're raising the match higher, that isn't doing something to the paper.

How about I take the paper up with me, and throw it on the ground, before i throw the match on it?

Exactly. So something must be done to the paper that causes more flames to be seen.

Nowhere in the puzzle does it say that more flames must be seen once the match hits the paper.

If you drop a match but the flame goes out before it hits the paper, then dropping a match on it didn't cause flames. You are ignoring "so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames".

That still doesn't mean the flames have to be touching the paper. If you want to get technical, there is no correct answer, because the flames will never be touching the paper itself, just whatever you put on the paper. (i.e. Lamination, alcohol, alum..)

But the riddle wants there to be flames seen because of the match hitting the paper. Martini's answer works- your doesn't.

No it doesn't, you want it, so that you're not wrong

#29 Scraff

Scraff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

How about I take the paper up with me, and throw it on the ground, before i throw the match on it?

It doesn't matter how the paper got on the floor.

Nowhere in the puzzle does it say that more flames must be seen once the match hits the paper.

Something must be done to the paper do that if you drop a match on it flames must be seen. If the match goes out on the way down, it did not cause flames to be seen. I can't make it any simpler for you.

That still doesn't mean the flames have to be touching the paper. If you want to get technical, there is no correct answer, because the flames will never be touching the paper itself, just whatever you put on the paper. (i.e. Lamination, alcohol, alum..)

A match on a wet paper is touching the paper.

#30 C0SM0

C0SM0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

What can you do paper so that if you drop a match on it you will see flames and not burn the paper?

Simply write the word FLAMES on a piece of paper with matches however leave it 1 match short of the completed word, then when you drop the last match into the appropriate space to complete the last letter you will see FLAMES
QED ladies and gentlemen!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users