Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Usually hand-written stars are drawn in connected, but not repeated, line segments. For example, a 5-point star is drawn as such - line segments AC, CE, EB, BD, DA. The segments must always alternate a constant number of points (in the above case, skipping 1 point in between).

Given the following info:
1)there is only 1 way to draw a 5-point star
2)there is NO way to draw a 6-point star (in continuous lines, that is)
3)there are 2 ways to draw a 7-point star

how many different ways are there to draw a 1000-point star?

#2 Georgie

Georgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

Spoiler for not sure but...

#3 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

Spoiler for I make it..

#4 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:46 PM

Spoiler for I make it..

Yep. Good job

#5 Budouka

Budouka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:14 PM

Pardon me, but I'm missing something here; maybe it's an incorrect assumption on my part. If you are drawing a star with continuous line segments, isn't there only one way to draw any given star, unless you count stroke direction, in which case there are two ways for stars with odd-numbered points and still no ways (line segments cannot be continuous) for stars with even points? What am I missing?

#6 flowstoneknight

flowstoneknight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

Pardon me, but I'm missing something here; maybe it's an incorrect assumption on my part. If you are drawing a star with continuous line segments, isn't there only one way to draw any given star, unless you count stroke direction, in which case there are two ways for stars with odd-numbered points and still no ways (line segments cannot be continuous) for stars with even points? What am I missing?

You can test this out yourself. Draw seven points evenly spaced on a circle. Starting at any point, draw a line to the next next point (so you're skipping one). Keep doing this until you've drawn a star. Now draw the same seven points, but this time skip two points when connecting them (so connect it to the next next next point). You'll see that you've drawn a different star. There are many different stars to be drawn for other numbers.

#7 Budouka

Budouka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

Thanks, flowstone, I get it now. That's pretty cool.

#8 woon

woon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

Spoiler for I am not sure, but I guess...

Edited by woon, 30 May 2008 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users