Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Bible

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 FitzKaos

FitzKaos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

noah took onto the ark:

Genesis 7: 2, where God tells Noah: 'Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of the beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female'

so he either took 7 males and 7 females of the clean ones, or just seven in total, depending on how you understand the sentence. the idea of two by two is only relevant to unclean animals (like pigs, camels, eels, snails etc etc).

gotta love QI :D

#22 Shortdude3000

Shortdude3000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:07 AM

40 Days and 40 Nights was Moses getting the tablets, not the ark. The ark was about 150 days afloat.

And FitzKaos, you're right. He took seven of every clean animal, male and female (14)
and 2 of every unclean, male and female (2)

#23 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:59 AM

40 Days and 40 Nights was Moses getting the tablets, not the ark. The ark was about 150 days afloat.

And FitzKaos, you're right. He took seven of every clean animal, male and female (14)
and 2 of every unclean, male and female (2)

Didn't it rain 40 days and 40 nights for the great flood

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#24 Shortdude3000

Shortdude3000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Didn't it rain 40 days and 40 nights for the great flood

Yeah that was the rain. The ark was in the water for about 150 days though.

#25 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

I've just read through it again. Very interesting.

Genesis 7.10.
And it came to pass after seven days that the waters of the flood were on the earth

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened

And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights

And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift above the earth.

And the waters prevailed and were increased greatly on the earth.....

And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

Genesis 8.4.
And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.

So the ark was only afloat between days 40 and 150.

Edited by fabpig, 27 February 2011 - 03:32 PM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#26 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

I understood the above to mean that the rain only stopped after 150 days, but on re-reading, it could mean that it rained for 40 days and the rain water stayed around for 150 days.

So I had another look. I think this clears it up:

This is immediately after 7.24 above

Genesis 8.1
And God remembered Noah and every living thing and all the cattle that was with him in the ark; and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged.

2. The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained.
3. And the waters returned from off the earth continually; and after the end of 150 days, the waters were abated.
4. above
5. And the waters decreased continually until the 10th month...the tops of the mountains could be seen
etc

So the rain from heaven was "restrained" after 150 days.

Edited by fabpig, 27 February 2011 - 04:16 PM.

#27 Shadow7

Shadow7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Actually, you're both right about the numbers...and keep in mind that Noah was Jewish, they believed only certain animals were ritually clean--those got seven others got two; and it rained 40 days and 40 nights, but it took about a year for the water to recede so they could leave the ark. and @ Dupie, could you please refrain from ad hominem attacks?

#28 rlsrainbow

rlsrainbow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS

Actually, though it rained 40 days and 40 nights, it was Noah that was on the ark a whole year.
And the number of animals is found in Genesis 7:2 "Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."

#29 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

2 "animals" total

What species are cherubims again?

If you are referring about what animals Moses put in the Ark it is probably a bit more of a stretch, as you would need to argue that manna was a microbial animal and that the animals referred to included microbes, then you would need to work out how many microbes there were in an omar of manna, on the staff that budded and on the tablets of 10 commandments.
Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#30 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5531 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Actually, you're both right about the numbers...and keep in mind that Noah was Jewish, they believed only certain animals were ritually clean--those got seven others got two; and it rained 40 days and 40 nights, but it took about a year for the water to recede so they could leave the ark. and @ Dupie, could you please refrain from ad hominem attacks?

Noah preceded Abraham; he was not Jewish.

This topic will be moved to Others.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users