Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Six Cups

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 ash013

ash013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

i saw this somewhere else and decided to draw it and stuff:

Posted Image

Here are six cups. Three of them are empty, three have wine in them. Your goal is to make the line of cups alternate (wine-empty-wine-empty or empty-wine-empty-etc). You can only touch one cup and that is the cup you move. You may not move any other cups with or without your hand except if you are pushing the cup you chose to move between two other cups. How do you do it?

Spoiler for Solution

I'll take the 4th glass and pour the wine into the first.This way we'll have-wine-empty-wine-empty-wine-empty.

#12 ClattoVerataNicto

ClattoVerataNicto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

pour cup4 into cup 1

#13 rcammoore

rcammoore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you also be able to move cup number 4 and place it between cups 1 and 2? The riddle states "You may not move any other cups with or without your hand except if you are pushing the cup you chose to move between two other cups".

Uh, no, that doesn't work. You'd still have two wine cups in a row (original positions 3 and 5). I'm pretty sure that the other solution posted is the only one that works.

#14 pinwizard

pinwizard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:53 AM

Drink all red wine with a straw pee in cups 1-3 and 5 and tell everybody its Chardonay.

#15 Kyoti

Kyoti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Uh, no, that doesn't work. You'd still have two wine cups in a row (original positions 3 and 5). I'm pretty sure that the other solution posted is the only one that works.

Dang, you're right. I had forgotten that there were 3 filled cups in a row, and by moving one there were still two in a row. Since my solution didn't work, I agree that the original solution is probably the only valid solution.

#16 copper

copper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

Or could you take #6 and add it between #2 and #3. E,E,E - F,F,F

#17 this_guy_lucas

this_guy_lucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

Pour the wine from the fourth cup into the first cup then replace cup four in its original position. Am I missing something simple that makes this problem more complex?

#18 newdude

newdude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

I must be missing something ...

If this is the starting lineup: O O O * * *

... and I pour cup 4 into cup 1, I get this: * O O O * *

which is NOT the desired outcome. So the starting lineup is something else? Defined where in the problem statement?

Help me see your logic please!

#19 newdude

newdude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

I must be missing something ...

If this is the starting lineup: O O O * * *

... and I pour cup 4 into cup 1, I get this: * O O O * *

which is NOT the desired outcome. So the starting lineup is something else? Defined where in the problem statement?

Help me see your logic please!

Never mind! With my work computer (running Win XP Pro) and firefox I could not see the original graphic with the cups in the
original arrangement, and assumed it was as above. It makes the problem MUCH more difficult this way!

#20 akaslickster

akaslickster

SLICK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4854 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

Dude OOXXXO O=empty X=half wine. Get it

Edited by akaslickster, 15 April 2008 - 10:12 PM.

Posted ImageThe place where peace begins is within oneself. by Slick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users