Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pole in lake

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#51 Alchameth

Alchameth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

While English isn't my first language (Bad English is:) I think some are reading too much into the "another". There can't really be another third because we haven't established a first third. Perhaps an effort to reword the problem for clarity. (I hope you don't mind, TEX.)

You are right, but we have established a fist 1/2 of the same item. To reword the problem you would have to remove another; then it fits and I would agree with the 48 answer.

Something like...

There is a pole in a lake. One half of the pole is in the ground, one third is covered by water and eight feet is out of the water. What is the total length of the pole in feet?

simply removing the word another does wonders for the question; makes it a simple math problem actually so logically another has importance.

If you assumed that the 1/3 is considering only the part that is NOT in the ground you would receive a different answer, but the problem does not say that.

We assume one thing you assume another, the word speaks for itself. But it does, by using the word another it requires you to consider "another" of something.

There is a pole in a lake. One half of the pole is in the ground, another one third is covered by water and eight feet is out of the water. What is the total length of the pole in feet?

another 1/3 covered by water, now depending on if you view 'another' as...

adj ~
1 : different or distinct from the one first considered
~ Another 1/3 of the remaining half

2 : some other
~ we can obviously ignore this meaning as it has no relevance

3 : being one more in addition to one or more of the same kind
~ Here is where it might be on your side, but an example of another in this context would be something on the lines of <have another piece of pie> so another of something of the same kind not another part of something already accounted for. So we could argue (us 24ers) that this enforces our side of the debate.

or
pron ~
1 : an additional one of the same kind : one more
~ Although I do not agree with the relevance of this, one could argue that it would be in addition to what is already known so it 'could' fit as 1/3 of the total length.

2 : one that is different from the first or present one
~ One that is different from the first (1/2) eg 1/3 of the second 1/2

3 : one of a group of unspecified or indefinite things <in one way or another>
~ no relevance

So given the definition of another in almost any context goes with a stronger argument for the answer to be 24 (which is what I believe it to be).

To say we presume that 'another' dictates the remaining half cannot be said without calling your own presumption that it is regarding 1/3 of the total length, to define it sides with us (that believe it to be 24).

#52 Brandonb

Brandonb

The Accused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3004 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

Spoiler for ANSWER

#53 afrigatebird

afrigatebird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

There is a pole in a lake. One half of the pole is in the ground, another one third is covered by water and eight feet is out of the water. What is the total length of the pole in feet?

about 36 feet

#54 Alchameth

Alchameth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:36 PM

Spoiler for ANSWER

But if one is to say that the 1/2 in the ground accounts as part of the 8ft not in the water, one could argue that the ground under the lake would be wet as well (because it would be) so the 1/3 of it in the water would account for the half in the ground as well and it would spin this off into la~la land. :huh:

#55 Brandonb

Brandonb

The Accused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3004 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

Oops, I missed the part about 1/2 being in the ground. Let me clarify

Spoiler for ASNWER v.2

#56 Alchameth

Alchameth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:59 PM

But the ground under the lake has water in it and the pole that is in the ground in the lake under the water.... is in the water.

Under that pretext.

#57 Brandonb

Brandonb

The Accused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3004 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:32 PM

But the ground under the lake has water in it and the pole that is in the ground in the lake under the water.... is in the water.

Under that pretext.

Just about any ground has water in it unless it's dry rock.

Hmm, what if the lake is under ground?

#58 Alchameth

Alchameth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Just about any ground has water in it unless it's dry rock.

Hmm, what if the lake is under ground?

I guess you dont live in a desert say like Phoenix.....

#59 ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

I don't get why everybody is doing fractions and percentages... It's really simple math.
First you start out with the 8 feet you know of, then you multiply it by 3 (because 1/3 is in the water so you do the inverse) to get 24.
After that you just multiply it by 2 because of the 1/2 in the ground to get 48.

#60 akaslickster

akaslickster

SLICK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4854 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

Spoiler for possibly

Posted ImageThe place where peace begins is within oneself. by Slick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users