Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pole in lake

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

Let's stop arguing and let TEX provide us the right solution.
All three answers :48", 24" and 12 could be correct depending on how you interpret this puzzle.

If the 1/3 submerged in water, is 1/3 of the whole pole then 48" is the right answer as most of you have posted here.

If the 1/3 submerged in water, is 1/3 of the remaining half then 24" is the right answer.

Also, if the part covered in ground represents the remaining 8" part not in water (air + ground), then 12" is the right answer

:rolleyes:

not arguing either - but are you not accepting 16'6"
ps air was not mentioned, perhaps delberately!

#42 Ciahra

Ciahra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

ok, i see my error. i'm daft.

48 feet.

#43 deepthoughts

deepthoughts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

There is a pole in a lake. One half of the pole is in the ground, another one third is covered by water and eight feet is out of the water. What is the total length of the pole in feet?

Sure, this is a logic puzzle but come on. Use some common sense too. First, if you're neck deep in water and your feet are ankle deep in the sand, you don't say that your head and feet are out of the water, just your head. And second, in english if you don't repeat yourself it's understood that 'another one third' is talking about the entire pole. If it was 'one third of the remaining part of the pole' you would have to state it. Seriously people. You're all great at math but your other skills need help.

1/2 the pole is in the ground
1/3 the pole is in the water
8 feet is out of the water
|
| 8 feet
|
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| 1/3
|
------------------------
|
| 1/2
|

1/2+1/3=5/6, therefore 8=1/6
8*6=48

It's the only way that it makes sense mathmatically AND logically.

Edited by deepthoughts, 29 March 2008 - 03:58 PM.

#44 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:56 AM

Math asside, surely setting a puzzle is to make it easy - very hard using hidden information and/or putting in distraction. perhaps this is easy, perhaps there's more to it. Out of the water is not in the air or other medium unless you assume it - could be misleading?
Tex has not responded, so we don't have any more information - it's open to interpretation. That's the beauty of it.
Even if there is an answer, it may still be reinvented.
Your math is fine based on your interpretation.

Mine is a pole is 5.5 yards, if you sold poles you would say the same.

#45 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:08 AM

I agree with almost everything deepthoughts said about this one (not any of the negativity about people of course).

Edited by itachi-san, 30 March 2008 - 02:09 AM.

#46 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:34 AM

scan0002.jpg
Spoiler for Stick in the mud
:lol:

Math asside, surely setting a puzzle is to make it easy - very hard using hidden information and/or putting in distraction. perhaps this is easy, perhaps there's more to it. Out of the water is not in the air or other medium unless you assume it - could be misleading?
Tex has not responded, so we don't have any more information - it's open to interpretation. That's the beauty of it.
Even if there is an answer, it may still be reinvented.
Your math is fine based on your interpretation.

Mine is a pole is 5.5 yards, if you sold poles you would say the same.

#47 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

scan0002.jpg

Spoiler for Stick in the mud
:lol:

- Don't let she who must be obeyed see that remark!
When he's Peter pan in Nethernetherland
and as you know the odd one out is the hole cos thats from a province not a country!

#48 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 03:07 AM

- Don't let she who must be obeyed see that remark!
When he's Peter pan in Nethernetherland
and as you know the odd one out is the hole cos thats from a province not a country!

You`ve been watching too many Fitna`s, maybe looking for a hole to crawl into?

#49 CeeCee

CeeCee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

I totally ignored the half in the ground part. If one third is 8 then the total is 24. The answer is 24 regardless of the other factors.

#50 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

I totally ignored the half in the ground part. If one third is 8 then the total is 24. The answer is 24 regardless of the other factors.

This is wrong. How can you ignore the half that's in the ground? The question is asking for the total length of the pole, so the length in the ground must be taken into account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users