Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pears

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

#91 roja

roja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

My answer is: the wind was so strong that it blew the entire tree away, and the pears with it.

That's what I thought. But I like the 2 pears to begin with and one in the tree and one on the ground after the storm.

#92 haixely

haixely

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

I think this would be better if it was worded differently.

"There are a few trees in a garden, one of them being a pear tree. After a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground.
How come?"

The answer would be obviously "because there was no pears on it to begin with"

#93 Lauren

Lauren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

I didn't get your answer but I thought that someone may have picked the pears from the tree BEFORE the wind? <_<

#94 elderw2

elderw2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

there were 2 pears on the tree and you said no pears on the ground so one pear went on the ground he he he he he he he

#95 bartf

bartf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

Pears - Back to the Logic Puzzles
There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground. How come?

Spoiler for Solution

#96 taliesin

taliesin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1544 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

I just read that puzzle in my Mind Trap collecton! :)

#97 Dances for riddles

Dances for riddles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

how do u no it's not winter

#98 robpal

robpal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

My original thought was that the tree was in the middle of a pond or lake in the garden, therefore when the wind blew the pears off the tree they went in the water and not be on the tree or the ground. After reading ten pages of possible solutions and the whole pear/pair debate, I do feel that the 1 pear on the tree and 1 on the ground answer is compelling, although my interpretation of the English language would tell me that 'niether pears on the tree or on the ground' would be absolutely NO pears, not even one. If I said to someone that there are no pears on a tree I would be there are zero pears on a tree not that there is one pear on a tree as if that was the case I would say, there is one pear on the tree. But I guess it wouldn't be a riddle if the language wasn't used to trick you into assuming things instead of taking it literally.

#99 MindBlown

MindBlown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

Ok.....I think I got it. First, there were two pears(a pair), then after the wind, 1 fell to the ground and 1 still in tree. So there is no pears in tree because it is a pear, not pears, and it's the same on the ground.

I love tricky teasers like this; it forces you to think outside the box. Thanks.

Edited by MindBlown, 09 November 2008 - 03:19 PM.

#100 AfroAllianceRRR

AfroAllianceRRR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:19 PM

Two possible options:

Spoiler for Hint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users