Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pears

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
123 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

Pears - Back to the Logic Puzzles
There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground. How come?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 garrymc80

garrymc80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:24 AM

the pears were not on the tree or ground to begin with - they were in a basket

#3 qazqaz

qazqaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

a bird could eat them, or it was falling.

#4 fosley

fosley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:28 PM

I think you're trying to use the reasoning that "pears" is plural with your first answer, which doesn't really work. You said English isn't your native language somewhere, so maybe your native language does things differently, but in English, it's accurate to say "no pears" only at 0. At 1 pear, you can't say there "are pears" (you'd say "is a pear"), but you can't say "no pears" either. Saying there are neither pears in the tree nor on the ground means there are 0 total pears after counting all the pear(s) on the ground and in the tree.

You can sorta, after a fashion, use that plural vs. singular call to reason, but it's not the way real English gets used--at least not in the United States where I'm from.

#5 airesso

airesso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

Lost in translation maybe? I believe the spirit of this is for it to be a spoken puzzle not a written. Thus there are no PEARS on the tree and no PAIRS on the ground. There are now three pears on the ground thus eliminating the pair of pears on the ground.

#6 fosley

fosley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

Ok, I can understand that.

#7 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:53 AM

Lost in translation maybe? I believe the spirit of this is for it to be a spoken puzzle not a written. Thus there are no PEARS on the tree and no PAIRS on the ground. There are now three pears on the ground thus eliminating the pair of pears on the ground.

I am afraid you are not supposed to do that, because even if it is a spoken puzzle you'd be obliged to mention the difference (pears, pairs) unless you are talking to children or you are telling the puzzle for entertainment's sake only.

#8 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

I am afraid you are not supposed to do that, because even if it is a spoken puzzle you'd be obliged to mention the difference (pears, pairs) unless you are talking to children or you are telling the puzzle for entertainment's sake only.

ITS A PUZZLE.. Besides entertainment, What other purpose could it possibly serve??? lol That's like saying "You are obligated to tell me the punchline of the joke BEFORE you tell me the joke to make it fair...lol HUH???

#9 Tap_521

Tap_521

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:58 PM

THIS RIDDLE MAKES NO SENSE!

#10 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

THIS RIDDLE MAKES NO SENSE! CANT WE EXPLAIN IN DETAIL HERE

Alright, let me take a crack at it guys.....

The confusing part about this riddle is the word Pear. As you can see above there has been some talk about its ability to be placed FAIRLY in text. Reason being, it is more a PLAY ON WORDS then it is a riddle.

Example = You have a "pear" that you eat. FRUIT...
Example2= You have a "Pair" of socks. PLURAL...

The question states that there are PEARS on the tree, but once the wind came there were no longer PEARS on the tree OR on the ground... HOW COME???

Problem with the question is, if you typed it properly, THERE WOULD BE NO QUESTION. So you HAVE to trick the reader in order for it to HAVE THE PROPER EFFECT. Problem with that is "If this is a Problem Solving Forum, you need to give an Accurate Problem" This riddle is IMPOSSIBLE to TYPE, It must be Spoken in order to work. Other wise the question would be as follows:

There are a Pair of Pears on a Pear tree...lol After a wind blew, there were No Longer a Pair of Pears on the tree... WHY? Of coarse the answer would be: BECAUSE ONLY ONE FELL OFF, LEAVING ONE PEAR ONE THE TREE, AND ONE PAIR ON THE GROUND, ELIMINATING ANY PAIRS OF ANYTHING, ANYWHERE.....

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what to tell ya....

-= Veracity =-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users