Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A word that is its own antonym

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 megamatt

megamatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

I am thinking of a word that has two opposite definitions. I know of one, and I wonder if anybody else knows another. The one I am thinking of is found in the Bible in the book of Genesis.

#2 undeniable

undeniable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

well inflammable sounds like one, although it is not.
The only other one i can think of is cleave... which means to separate and to join together..

#3 megamatt

megamatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:28 AM

That's the one I had in mind.

Genesis 2:24--

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

And then a meat cleaver is used to cleave or separate meat. Good job.
http://dictionary.re...m/browse/cleave

#4 Kevo

Kevo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

I am thinking of a word that has two opposite definitions. I know of one, and I wonder if anybody else knows another. The one I am thinking of is found in the Bible in the book of Genesis.

Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.

1. to deal a blow or stroke to (a person or thing), as with the fist, a weapon, or a hammer; hit.

2. Baseball. a pitch that is swung at and missed by the batter.

#5 PDR

PDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

Spoiler for who knew there were so many? (besides Google of course... )

#6 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5880 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:41 AM

Here's another:
I predict that Tony Dungy will weigh his options for another year with the Colts and finally decide to resign.
Will he re-up for another season, or will he quit?

Everyone knew that one Manning would be watching the other on TV next week, right?
How about those Giants? :rolleyes:

Here's one for T.O. ... :( add a single tear coursing down the cheek.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#7 zoris

zoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

What about expressions that are their own antonyms? The meaning of the phrase "you don't say!" is explained as follows in the "Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English" (2006 edition): used to show you are surprised by what someone has told you - also often used when you are not at all surprised by what someone has told you.

#8 TwoaDay

TwoaDay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

im sure their are alo of sentences like that

like "Thanks alot" can actually be thanking someone or can be sarcastic and be saying someone did something wrong ^_^

#9 Prince_Marth85

Prince_Marth85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

What about expressions that are their own antonyms? The meaning of the phrase "you don't say!" is explained as follows in the "Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English" (2006 edition): used to show you are surprised by what someone has told you - also often used when you are not at all surprised by what someone has told you.

im sure their are alo of sentences like that

like "Thanks alot" can actually be thanking someone or can be sarcastic and be saying someone did something wrong ^_^

Well there's a definite difference between sarcasam and a word that has two definitions that are complete opposites.

#10 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

I think you can get a book on them - I'm sure that I nearly bought one in Paris about 30 years ago

Most common seems to be terriffic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users