BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

The following scenarios have no ifs, ands or buts. Sorry if they seem a bit morbid, but they are some pretty difficult decisions to make, and hopefully interesting to ponder.

1) Would you kill someone you don't know to save 1,000 people you don't know?

2) Would you kill yourself to save 1,000 people you don't know?

3) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your friend?

4) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your parent?

5) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your sibling?

6) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your spouse?

7) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your child?

8) Would you choose to kill yourself instead for any of the above 5 questions?

9) Would you press a button to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise?

10) Would you shoot to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise?

11) Would you kill with your bare hands a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise?

12) What if the serial killer was a woman?

13) What if s/he killed someone you love?

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision?

8 answers to this question

1) Would you kill someone you don't know to save 1,000 people you don't know?

If the person I had to kill deserved to die. Have they murdered anyone? Are they killing people? Then yes. However if they're just a puppet or have done nothing directly wrong yet, then probably not -- but nothing is for sure. Would be a split second decision per situation.

2) Would you kill yourself to save 1,000 people you don't know?

Yes. Though my life is less complicated right now than it could be. Right now, I would not hesitate. But then I'm single. Were I married and with a child, there would be more to consider.

3) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your friend?

4) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your parent?

5) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your sibling?

The above questions 3, 4, & 5 are all kind of the same to me (assuming I truely have love for this person). Am I killing in their defense? Does someone have a gun at their head -- if thats the case then I would not hesitate. However if it's a more indirect kind of situation, more thought is required.

6) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your spouse?

7) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your child?

Questions 6 & 7 are different for me. I would most likely kill someone to save my lover or child in 98% of situations. I'm a little selfish.

8) Would you choose to kill yourself instead for any of the above 5 questions?

Whether I kill myself or someone else highly depends on if that person is a bad person -- as in they kill or rape or something. Then it's them. If it's more of a "here's you, me, and my loved one and one of us is going to die" and I knew nothing about that other person -- well thats hard to think about. I'd like to say I'd choose to die first, but I'm not sure I'm such a good person. We'd have to put me in that situation to find out.

9) Would you press a button to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise?

Yes. Hands down.

10) Would you shoot to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise?

Yes. This is the same for me as #9.

11) Would you kill with your bare hands a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise?

Yes. And I'd be darn impressed with myself.

12) What if the serial killer was a woman?

Their sex makes no difference to me.

13) What if s/he killed someone you love?

Then I would not hesitate or blink. Assuming this is murder we're talking about. If they killed them by accident or in a car wreck, thats different. If it's murder than yes I would kill them in a heart beat.

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision?

Yes. Murder of someone I love is on a much different level than murder of someone I never knew. That's probably wrong -- again, selfish -- but I'm being honest here. You kill some guy in another country -- I'm going to care a hell of a lot less than if you killed my husband. I would personally hunt them down and kill them were it the latter.

Edited by KarenClark

The following scenarios have no ifs, ands or buts. Sorry if they seem a bit morbid, but they are some pretty difficult decisions to make, and hopefully interesting to ponder.

1) Would you kill someone you don't know to save 1,000 people you don't know? YES

2) Would you kill yourself to save 1,000 people you don't know? NO

3) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your friend? YES

4) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your parent? YES

5) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your sibling? YES

6) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your spouse? YES

7) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your child? YES

8) Would you choose to kill yourself instead for any of the above 5 questions? YES

9) Would you press a button to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? YES

10) Would you shoot to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? YES

11) Would you kill with your bare hands a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? YES

12) What if the serial killer was a woman? doesn't make any difference

13) What if s/he killed someone you love? still I will kill him/her

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision? NO

some are really nasty ones. I have answered them without ifs and buts. I mean without prior conditions. just one plain question with no background to it and the answer either yes/no.

1) Would you kill someone you don't know to save 1,000 people you don't know? yes

2) Would you kill yourself to save 1,000 people you don't know? yes, my life is no more important than others

3) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your friend? no

4) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your parent? no

5) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your sibling? no

6) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your spouse? yes

7) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your child? yes

8) Would you choose to kill yourself instead for any of the above 5 questions? yes but only numbers 6 and 7

9) Would you press a button to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? yes

10) Would you shoot to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? absolutely

11) Would you kill with your bare hands a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? absolutely, without remorse

12) What if the serial killer was a woman? evil is evil, it has no gender

13) What if s/he killed someone you love? yes, slowley and painfully

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision? n/a

I was going to try to explain my answers.... but, im just going to give the answer instinctively.

1) Would you kill someone you don't know to save 1,000 people you don't know? Yes

2) Would you kill yourself to save 1,000 people you don't know? Yes

3) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your friend? Yes

4) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your parent? Yes

5) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your sibling? Yes

6) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your spouse? Yes

7) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your child? Yes

8) Would you choose to kill yourself instead for any of the above 5 questions? Yes

9) Would you press a button to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? No

10) Would you shoot to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? No

11) Would you kill with your bare hands a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? No

12) What if the serial killer was a woman? No

13) What if s/he killed someone you love? I would go with the bare hands thing.

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision? Unfortunately, I am more motivated by the love factor. I hurt when anyone is murdered don't get me wrong. I'm full of compassion, but it's much easier to shrug off something when you don't know the individual. Thus, me not killing a serial killer when he killed someone I don't know. I guess cause I see murders and rapists go free often enough to not flinch anymore.

1) Would you kill someone you don't know to save 1,000 people you don't know? In defense, yes. Otherwise...I don't know. I think it would depend on whether or not I was sure that's what the person wanted me to do. If I couldn't be sure, I wouldn't do it.

2) Would you kill yourself to save 1,000 people you don't know? yes

3) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your friend? In defense only

4) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your parent? In defense only

5) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your sibling? In defense only

6) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your spouse? In defense only

7) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your child? In defense only

8) Would you choose to kill yourself instead for any of the above 5 questions? Totally depends on the circumstance. I'd easily die for any of them. If someone said, "Kill yourself or they die" then yes.

9) Would you press a button to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? If he's been tried in a court and were being released, no. But I am highly in favor of the death penalty in necessary cases.

10) Would you shoot to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? Same as above.

11) Would you kill with your bare hands a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? Same as above.

12) What if the serial killer was a woman? She can bite me and then get the chair.

13) What if s/he killed someone you love? I don't know. Still not my call...I'm not the judge or jury. I believe in a just God, and I'd have to trust Him with that.

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision? I don't think so. Although I have kids, and I get psycho when someone yells at them in the wrong way. But after someone's been through the legal system (corrupt as it may be), it's not really my call anymore.

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision? I don't think so. Although I have kids, and I get psycho when someone yells at them in the wrong way. But after someone's been through the legal system (corrupt as it may be), it's not really my call anymore.

Flawed as it may be.........not corrupt

One comment. These all seem to be being answered by grown people. I am not a grown person. I think that'll make a difference in my answers from other people, and as more people post, I'd like to see if I'm right. Okay, let's get started.

1) Would you kill someone you don't know to save 1,000 people you don't know? Really? It depends on the scenario. I'm going to guess the scenario you're going for is either kill them or the people die. No. I couldn't - remember, I'm younger than most people on this forum.

2) Would you kill yourself to save 1,000 people you don't know? No. I've got my whole life ahead of me. Sorry if that's selfish.

3) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your friend? Again, going for the 'kill them or my friend dies' scenario. In this case, yes.

4) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your parent? Same as friend.

5) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your sibling? Same as friend.

6) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your spouse? My hypothetical spouse? Sure.

7) Would you kill someone you don't know to save your child? My hypothetical child? Definitely.

8) Would you choose to kill yourself instead for any of the above 5 questions? I would die for my parent, sibling, and hypothetical child, sure.

9) Would you press a button to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? Unless the law pointed to the button and says 'you're free to push that and kill this serial killer' then no. I don't want to be caught up in the law just yet.

10) Would you shoot to kill a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? - Same as button.

11) Would you kill with your bare hands a serial killer if he were to go free otherwise? -No, for the simple reason that I don't have the kind of strength required for that (and, of course, for the same reason as button)

12) What if the serial killer was a woman? -What does that have to do with anything?

13) What if s/he killed someone you love? -Who did they kill that I love? My hypothetical child? My friend? It depends. But in the end, it always comes back around to the fact that the law would have to tell me i could.

14) Do any of the above 5 variables make a difference in your decision? -The only variable that matters to me would be if the law permits me to kill this person. I know, this seems weird, but do you know how much CSI i watch?