Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Think about these

• Please log in to reply
570 replies to this topic

#51 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

[quote name='"nikox66"]i might check into that. i say that the speed of light has no mass because i heard that from someone else' date=' i guess he was wrong.[quote']

A speed is a mesure of travel through space in a given time; the question of mass does not apply. It would be like saying my pants have an IQ of 130. It is true that light has no mass, and light moves at the speed of light. But for objects with mass, as speed increases so does mass, and so does the energy required to accelerate the object further. So much so that at the speed of light a massive object would be infinitely so, and thus require infinite energy to move. And that's why we can't go the speed of light. I think that's where the idea of no mass came from

#52 Slick_Rick9009

Slick_Rick9009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:09 AM

Sorry, but I don't have the time to read all of the pages so this might have already been mentioned. About the girl killing her grandmother - who would kill their grandmother?!? Ok, that wasn't it. If you go back in time with any purpose and succeed then an eternal circle will be formed, not just by killing your ancestors. If I go back 1 year (any number will do) so that I can stop my pencil from falling out of my window and I succeed then in the new future I don't need to go back for that, but, if I don't go back then the pencil will fall, now I will go back... Besides, time travel is 99.9999999999999...% impossible. There is an infinitely small percentage possibility that time travel is possible. The only way that I know of that has proven that time travel is impossible is that humans have never been caught coming from the future. And, eventually, if we can travel through time, people would come back. Eventually someone would be caught. This is assuming that time travel is in fact impossible and not just humans are going to die out (along with the rest of the universe) before we discover it. This is wwhere there is a percentage of possibility. But it doesn't matter. Either way, no living or inanimate thing in the universe will ever travel through time.

#53 Slick_Rick9009

Slick_Rick9009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:31 AM

Okay, I got to read a few more.

i might check into that. i say that the speed of light has no mass because i heard that from someone else, i guess he was wrong.

A speed is a mesure of travel through space in a given time; the question of mass does not apply. It would be like saying my pants have an IQ of 130. It is true that light has no mass, and light moves at the speed of light. But for objects with mass, as speed increases so does mass, and so does the energy required to accelerate the object further. So much so that at the speed of light a massive object would be infinitely so, and thus require infinite energy to move. And that's why we can't go the speed of light. I think that's where the idea of no mass came from

Light does have mass, however. If light has no mass, then explain a black hole. In the cwenter of the sun, where the light is made by fusing hydrogen atoms into helium atons, a small amount of mass is lost with each fusion. This mass is now light. But mainly with the black hole, we know they're real, we've "seen" them. So, how could they pull in the light if it has no mass? I know this all sounds quite rude and sarcastic, but it really isn't supposed to be, sorry about that.

But this reminds me of something I saw on a show on the Science channel. It said that if you could see someone fall into a black hole, then whenever they hit the precise spot where the hole's gravity is strong enough to pull in light, their image would forever be frozen so you would see them forever (if you looked at it forever). But this makes no sense to me. Their reasoning was that the light reflected by them at the last moment would be stuck there forever. I understand this, but I wouldn't be able to see it unless I fell through the exact spot that my friend fell in because the light has to move into my eye for me to see it, right? Well, I found a few other faults with the same series of shows, but I'll leave them alone for now since I can't remember what they were. But, can anyone tell me how the light would be stuck there AND I would be able to see it?

#54 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

Okay, I got to read a few more.

Light does have mass, however. If light has no mass, then explain a black hole. In the cwenter of the sun, where the light is made by fusing hydrogen atoms into helium atons, a small amount of mass is lost with each fusion. This mass is now light. But mainly with the black hole, we know they're real, we've "seen" them. So, how could they pull in the light if it has no mass?

Light has an invariant mass of 0. Mass is what causes gravity, but why do you think light must have mass to be effected by gravity?? Gravity is not an attractive force between massive objects, gravity is a warping of spacetime. Massless light travels into a warped area, and while moving in a straight line from its perspective, bends to our perception. It really is very simple.

As for the sun, there is this crazy German, apparently you've not heard of him, but he has an outlandish formula that shows you can convert between energy and mass. He says that the energy inside any given sample of mass is equal to that mass times the speed of light times itself. In other words, there is a tremendous amount of energy locked up in every mote and particle in the universe. What the sun does in its celestial furnace is convert its mass to energy in an incredibly efficient manner. The result is the light and heat we enjoy so much on a midsummer's day.

If light had mass, how would you not violate the law of conservation of mass every time you switched on a light bulb???

What I don't understand is that all of these things are a two second google search away, why not investigate on your own instead of asking us to straighten you out?

#55 Linewalker

Linewalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Think about these - Back to the Paradoxes
1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

It's simple actually. The bullet would hit the armor and both would keep traveling at the same speed as the bullet.

#56 retskcah .eht

retskcah .eht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

#7 is a Steven Wright joke. I asked my chemistry teacher about it and he said, because of relativity, your headlights would turn on, as normal, and the light would come out at twice the speed of light.

However, the question is impossible anyways, because for something to go the speed of light, ALL of it's mass must be converted to energy. The spaceship wouldn't even exist anymore.

Cliper first of all you should not asked a teacher , secondly you asked wrong teacher.The question wass from area of phisics not chemistry.Light is not a molecular form , but an energy.
see my answer below for complete explanation.

#57 retskcah .eht

retskcah .eht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

1.Hypothetically if such an armor would existed anything would be able to pas truth but withouth the penetration
of the pancir itself and without any damage to exterior or interior.
Explanation:
The purpose of the armor is not to actuly stop the bullet or disable the bullet from passing thru , but to keep the person
in it secured and unharmed as much as possible.
So hypothetically it would teleport the bullet behind it and both statements would be satisfied.
So theory that the shortest distance between two points , or dots AB is "the dots itself" must be used to makesuch armor.

2.it is a ferry tale.Nothing can't be ethernal , nothing lasts forever.

3.no , yes . whatever you chouse you can not complete it.
if you chose no than you didnt exept any mission
if you chose yes then a mission is a failure.
but what if the mission you wore supossed to not exept was not the one from the sentence.
(that was not a question that i dont know it is actualy used to make it more simple for you all to see the answer to the question above.)

4. The past exist only as the concequences of exsistens of something before the current time.Our memory , materia , energy , text and similiar.So there fore going backwards thru time is imposible.That is the reason why the answer to your theoreticly hypotheticall question is also imposible.

5.Zero multiplayed by any number iz Zero itself , and that zero used in temperatured is different than the one from the aritmetics.that zero ismade for the people in relation to the freezing point.
the real zero in temperature would bewhen there would be no temperature if the same aritmetic functions would be applyed to it.Becouse zero stands for nothing in maths.

6.impossible

7.It would be a miracle.Becouse everithing must be transformed into square zilions of different energy types so it would be ablle to be asembled into previous state.there would be no car , no one to "switch the lights on" and there would be no lights.
But hypoteticly when it would be possible the lights would not be as twice as wast as clipers
says that his teacher sad.(if true you got a very logicaly limited teacher.iq 80< at the particular point of time.How old are u clipers? , i dont think this is the forum for you , seriuosly let your brain develop before you start with this more - less endeles loops.)
the lights would not exist becouse the light speed is constant.And the light is an energy (as I already mentioned), so to move at that speed it would be neded much of an energy which would be manifasted as light based on fusion relativity.And one more thing : mass does not exsist only the force of energye.That is why the cosmic objects such as planets pull other objects.Not becouse of the mass.but becouse of the energy they posses.Ask your teacher to deffine mass and listen to what she will say.
And a question for you "if you fire a canon and a canon from the fired canon and another one, what will the speed of the last one be?
to be continued

#58 darkworld001

darkworld001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:06 AM

I KNOW #1

it's simple, the universe imlopdes and we all get sucked into a big black hole. logica, right?

#59 Mephista

Mephista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

2. I believe that the definition of to drown is to take water into your lungs, so technically it is very possible to drown and not die...

#60 thupten1234

thupten1234

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

* Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?
answer: the bullet will not shoot through the armour. reason, the latest statement, which is the second statement about the armour being bulletproof dissolves the first statement.

* Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?
no..a man can only live in the fountain of eternal life, if given the chance.

* Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?
no i donot accept. mission accomplished.

* This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.
if she went to past, she cannot go further than her own birth coz she doesn't exist before her birth. so however past she went, she went to a past where she and both her grandma existed. so she did the killing after she is born.

* If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?
-8.8889celsius

0 degree celsius=32farenheit
double cold = temp becomes half=16 farenheit

16farenheit= 8.8889 celsius

* Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?
no
* What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?
no matter how fast you go ..your headlight is about 2 meter ahead of you always. so the light will always be in front.
* I conclude with this challenge:
Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up!
ok...let him do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users