Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Think about these

• Please log in to reply
570 replies to this topic

#521 Eterna

Eterna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:50 AM

Here are my thoughts on these paradoxes --

1. Let's say (hypothetically) there is a bullet, which can shoot through any barrier. Let's say there is also an absolutely bullet-proof armour, and nothing gets through it. What will happen, if such bullet hits such armour?

This is a HYPOTHETICAL situation, as has been stated. If such a thing is impossible (which it very well may be) then how can there be a physically real answer for something that isn't even possible? I don't think there is a serious answer for this one ^_~

2. Can a man drown in the fountain of eternal life?

Again, a hypothetical idea. The answer to this one depends on the interpretation of the terms. If one were to compare this one to the previous one, the thing that (I think) would be first noticed is the fact that one was clashing one impossibility with another; two was clashing one impossible with a, shall we say, "non-impossible". Thus, my answer for two would probably be that no, a man cannot drown in the fountain of eternal life, because the fountain of eternal life would, theoretically, prevent the man from dying (whereas nothing says the man MUST drown).

3. Your mission is to not accept the mission. Do you accept?

If I said no, that means I do not accept the mission, and thus although I completed the mission, I declined it and so it does not count. If I said yes and then another mission was presented, which was declined...well, there you go. That's all I could think of.

4. This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

What is the question for this one? If it is questioning the possibility of this, then I believe physics has not yet revealed enough of itself to us for us to be able to predict such a thing. Yet, if the theory in Timeline is accepted, then when the girl kills her grandmother it shall have no affect on her universe, as the grandmother she killed will have belonged to an alternate timeline/universe.

5. If the temperature this morning is 0 degrees and the Weather Channel says, "it will be twice as cold tomorrow,".... What will the temperature be?

Solving this question requires basic equations. The common mistake, I take it, is that someone will misinterpret this as "it will be twice as cold as today's temperature tomorrow", when, however, it merely says it will be twice as cold. This does not necessarily mean today's temperature multiplied by two. It means today's "cold" multiplied by two. This can be represented as X*2 = ? . X can be found by figuring out what temperature, exactly, means cold. If we were to interpret cold to mean "less than the average temperature", then first we need to find the average temperature, which (in San Francisco <http://www.weather.c...nthly/USCA0987>) is 58.(3) (fifty-eight point three recurring) as of 2011. I'm rounding this to just 58. So, "less than average" is 57 and below. In other words, X is equal to 57 because 57-0=57. Thus, 57 is the measurement of how cold it is TODAY. To put this in an equation, 57*2 = 114, which is twice as cold as it is today. This means that tomorrow's temperature will be 57-114, which would equal (-57). Thus, tomorrow's temperature is -57 degrees.

6. Answer truthfully (yes or no) to the following question: Will the next word you say be no?

Couldn't think of an answer. I'll just stick with, "nope".

7. What happens if you are in a car going the speed of light and you turn your headlights on?

Nothing with mass can go the speed of light...

8. I conclude with this challenge:
Let the God Almighty create a stone, which he can not pick up (is not capable of lifting)!

I agree with cpotting: "Not a problem. God creates a pebble and then declares "I shall never pick it up". He is capable of lifting it, but can not break his promise. Conditions met." Only, because of the wording of the problem, I would say that he is NOT capable of lifting it because of his promise.

#522 Hidden G

Hidden G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

:duh:

Spoiler for

but if u take this question that way then why doesn't she kill her grandma NOW.

#523 ADParker

ADParker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:12 AM

but if u take this question that way then why doesn't she kill her grandma NOW.

...and save herself the trouble of first inventing time travel. :lol:

#524 Hidden G

Hidden G

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

...and save herself the trouble of first inventing time travel. :lol:

hahaha yep, i was going to reply for ETERNA a bit like how u did to me,but i say i'll leave it to u cz u have more knowledge .

#525 Artificial

Artificial

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:51 AM

7. First of all, according to general relativity, nothing can move at the speed of light, and nothing can exceed the speed of light. There's no such thing as "above the speed of light". With that concluded, number 7 is deemed impossible.

1 & 8. The irresistible force vs. immovable object paradox has been around for a long time, (as seen in 1 & 8) and science's best guess is that it'll create another big bang as the result of electrons and waves imploding and expanding at once.

4. Time Travel has a lot more paradoxes which you will need to take into consideration. The best explanation is this: One cannot occupy the same space as their future self. But, as you travel back in time, we must assume the duration there surpasses an hour, maybe two, to locate and kill your ancestor. During this time your cells will be replaced and you will therefore, in theory, be an entirely new person - Manipulating time and space therefore becomes possible, hypothetically.

2. Obviously, yes he can. The fountain of eternal life states that a man may live forever, it does not say he will. If it was the "fountain of immortality" perhaps the outcome would be different. As for turtles - They can live for way more than a hundred years, but there's no saying they will. A human can become up to 120 years, maybe more, but few do. Just because your lifespan is extended, it does not mean you'll get to the end of it - It depends on so many factors.

#526 brainjacked

brainjacked

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

#5--Today's temp is 0 c, so it will be 32 f, when 32 f is divided by 2, we get 16 f....When we convert 16f to c we get -8.8999 C..So this is the answer.

#7--When we got at the speed of light\, no light source will be visible to us..so if we switch on the lights.light will get trapped and will not come out of its exact source.

#527 joekemon

joekemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

This girl goes into the past and kills her Grandmother. Since her Grandmother is dead the girl was never born, if she was never born she never killed her grandmother and she was born.

Have you seen the episode of futurama where fry goes back in time and kills with his grandfather, but slept with his grandmother therefore becoming his own grandfather!!!

#528 voider

voider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

7. First of all, according to general relativity, nothing can move at the speed of light, and nothing can exceed the speed of light. There's no such thing as "above the speed of light". With that concluded, number 7 is deemed impossible.

Your objection to "above the speed of light" is debatable (http://en.wikipedia....ster_than_light). Besides, there are times in modern developments when we consider "was Einstein wrong", unless you suggest physicists have learned nothing since him.

#529 C Mill

C Mill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:32 AM

2. It is possible to drown in the fountain of life. in order to be granted eternal life you must drink from the fountain. meaning water must go into your stomach....yes? so if you drown. meaning water is in your lungs. it would be totally possible to die. for example say someone duct taped your mouth closed and tied you up then threw you into the fountain. no way to ingest the water and eventually be forced to inhale the water through your nose...drown or to not breath at all... suffocate.

gg son.

#530 DoctorC

DoctorC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

SORRY NEWBIE, BUT I MUST RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE! REGARDING NUMBER 5 (I THINK!), THE QUESTION ON THE TEMPERATURE @ ZERO AND IF TWICE THAT TOMORROW, WHAT WILL THE TEMPERATURE BE? IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU USE C OR F TO MEASURE THE DEGREE BECAUSE AT ZERO, BOTH C AND F MEASURE THE SAME...ZERO! THEN IF YOU USE THE KELVIN SCALE, THAT WOULD PUT YOU AT ABSOLUTE ZERO AND SINCE NOTHING CAN EVER BE COLDER THAN ABSOLUTE ZERO (BECAUSE THAT IS THE TEMPERATURE AT WHICH ALL ATOMIC MOTION CEASES AND IS, BY DEFINITION, THE COLDEST POSSIBLE TEMPERATURE), THERE CAN BE NO TEMPERATURE EXISTING AT TWICE ABSOLUTE ZERO. SO, WE HAVE A READING AT ABSOLUTE ZERO WHICH DOESN'T WORK BECAUSE WE CAN NOT HAVE A TEMPERATURE TWICE THAT AND WE HAVE A CELSIUS READING OF ZERO AND A FAHRENHEIT READING OF ZERO. I THINK THAT THERE IS NO CORRECT ANSWER BECAUSE THE QUESTION IS FLAWED ITSELF. THE QUESTION ASKS WHAT WILL THE TEMPERATURE BE IF IT IS TWICE THE EXISTING TEMPERATURE OF ZERO. THE PROBLEM IS, THAT AT ZERO, WE CAN GO IN THE NEGATIVE DIRECTION OR THE POSITIVE DIRECTION. THE FLAW IN THE QUESTION IS THAT IT DOES NOT ASK IN WHICH DIRECTION TO GO: POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE. IN ANY EVENT, I BELIEVE THE TEMPERATURE AT TWICE ZERO WOULD STILL REMAIN UNCHANGED BECAUSE 0 TIMES 0 = 0. SO THERE YOU HAVE IT FOLKS....THAT'S THE CORRECT ANSWER!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users