BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A tank can be filled by pipe A in 30 minutes and by pipe B in 24 minutes. Outlet pipe C can empty the full tank in one hour and twenty minutes. If the tank is empty initially and if all the three pipes A, B and C are opened simultaneously, in how much time will the tank be full?

9 answers to this question

A tank can be filled by pipe A in 30 minutes and by pipe B in 24 minutes. Outlet pipe C can empty the full tank in one hour and twenty minutes. If the tank is empty initially and if all the three pipes A, B and C are opened simultaneously, in how much time will the tank be full?

never... unless you block the outlet pipe © - it won't fill

Artificial, W, Bonanova and Jenbali have got it. Good job. Extra kudos to Jenbali for your first post.

Rhapsodize, your method is correct, though C should be negative as it is an outlet pipe.

LIS, at the 16th min, the tank will be full. I am not sure who will be responsible to close the pipes at the right time, though.

LIS, at the 16th min, the tank will be full. I am not sure who will be responsible to close the pipes at the right time, though.

Yes i realized later that i read C as 20 min somehow? thought it was a catch question, came to me too late. What a thing to think about instead of cheering my son at football. - Wearing a footprint - ow!