Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ship Ladder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#41 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

well spotted, even I can not find "tave" in dictionary :lol: ... no idea where I saw it ... I have probably made it up :P

anyway, I meant rungs

My thought - may be to do with octave etc, lines on sheet music La,la.LA!
Possibly from an old poem - i have looked all over, Including Oh captain my captain... nor the Rime of the Ancient mariner
edit for rung looks good - hope to fin tave somewhere other than t'ave (to have)

#42 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

*** OK I feel really dumb now... I should have known when the math was so simple.... DUHHHHH ***** Dont tell my Dad -- he's in the Navy! hahaha

Ask your dad about taves please - I'm having a migrain researching.

#43 FlaNative

FlaNative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

Clearly the answer is never as the ship would float with the tide. But for all you nitpickers who would argue the anchor somehow would prevent the ship from floating just to justify your math, you have made another error. From slack-tide to slack-tide (thats high-tide to low-tide or vice versa for you land lubbers) the elapsed time is under six hours [where I live, and I don't know it to be sufficiently longer elsewhere.] So if the rate of tide rise as given in puzzle is constant [and you all have assumded so in your math,] then the correct answers is still never. ;)

#44 maryj724

maryj724

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

Never because it only has 2 taves......
Honestly, I am just guessing! LOL

#45 Bill47

Bill47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

Another classic. As long as the ship is floating and no other factors are involved (such as loading nthe ship) then the ship will simply rise with the tide and there will e no change in the number of rungs in or out of the water.

#46 Poore-k

Poore-k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

Ship Ladder - Back to the Logic Puzzles
A ship anchored in a port has a ladder (beginning and ending with a tave), where the bottom tave touches the water. The distance between taves is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the speed of 15 cm each hour.
When will the water be on the third tave from the top?

seeing that the question is asking when, not if...
Spoiler for solution

#47 Bill47

Bill47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

seeing that the question is asking when, not if...

Right, so the answer is either never, or when the ladder falls off the ship as Poore-k said.

#48 splinter_vc

splinter_vc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

I agree that the answer is never, but for those of you that have done the math - No one ever accounted for the width of the rungs. It never said how wide the rungs are so I would disagree that you can even come up with 10 rungs on a ladder that size. It says 20 cm between rungs, not from the center of the rungs. I argue you cannot mathmatically solve this puzzle without that information anyway.

#49 zarkov

zarkov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:34 AM

unless the boat is sinking, the tide will never reach up any bfurther because the ladder ia attached to the boat (which rises WITH the tide! :D

#50 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

Ship Ladder - Back to the Logic Puzzles
The captain of a big ship was telling this interesting story: "Once I saw two marines standing on the opposite sides of the ship. One was looking to the west and the other one to the east. And they saw each other very well."
How can that be possible?

<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Spoiler for Solution: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:45px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">
</div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;">Ship Ladder - solution
If the tide is raising water, then it is raising the ship on water, too. So water will reach still the first rung.</div></div></div>

<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Spoiler for old wording: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:45px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.innerText = ''; this.value = 'Show'; }">
</div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;">A ship anchored in a port has a ladder (beginning and ending with a tave), where the bottom tave touches the water. The distance between taves is 20 cm and the length of the ladder is 180 cm. The tide is rising at the speed of 15 cm each hour.
When will the water be on the third tave from the top?

Edit: tave = rung</div></div></div>

Something is wrong with this topic, I read the question as... (The captain of a big ship was telling this interesting story: "Once I saw two marines standing on the opposite sides of the ship. One was looking to the west and the other one to the east. And they saw each other very well."
How can that be possible?)
But the answer is for a different riddle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users