Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ship Ladder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#11 Col

Col

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Hi all,

Perhaps the answer is never or only when the ship sinks, or during some major weather event, because, the tide only ever rises for six hours, so, whether the boat is anchored or not, the water will never reach the third down under normal circumstances.

#12 snotty87

snotty87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

Whether or not the boat rises, since there are 2 high tides and two low tides per 24 hours, the time between low tide and high tide is never more than 6 hours, give or take. Since to reach the 3rd highest rung would take over 8 hours, it could not possibly reach it at the rate described.

#13 snotty87

snotty87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

I hate that the person before me said my thoughts ... urg

#14 erictheread

erictheread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:53 PM

never
the ship will rise with the tide
cai

#15 zolaman

zolaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

I was also tricked into doing the unnecessary math, but still got a different number than all y'all. One guy posted the following:

180 --- 10
160 --- 9
140 --- 8
120 --- 7
100 --- 6
80 --- 5
60 --- 4
40 --- 3
20 --- 2
0 --- 1

So the third tave from the top (#8) is at a height of 140cm divided by 15 mins per hour leaves an answer of 9hrs 20 mins. Of course, we all know the tide would already be going down again and the boat wouldn't sink...but just testing the math part...

#16 idinaadi

idinaadi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:58 AM

When the ship sinks.

The solution is damn right but another logically right answer and totally humorous answer was da one given by beaker_reborn!!

#17 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Fooled me too! But since I did the math (assuming the ship doesn't move) I also got 9:20

#18 eoj145

eoj145

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

I think you guys are missing the point. The third stave from the top is NOT # 8, it's #7. If #10 is the top, then it follows that # 9 is the first from the top, #8 the second, and 7 the third.

It's the same as a race. There's a winner and then there are runner-ups. The first runner-up is not the winner (top stave), it is the one that directly follows.

If that's the case, the correct math answer would be 8 hrs [120cm/(15cm/hr)].

It's all irrelavent, I concede, considering the correct math answer is not feasible anyway.

#19 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:24 PM

I think you guys are missing the point. The third stave from the top is NOT # 8, it's #7. If #10 is the top, then it follows that # 9 is the first from the top, #8 the second, and 7 the third.

I think that saying #8 is third from the top is true. We're saying it's the 3rd rung from the top, not the 3rd rung from the top rung. Likewise, #3 would be the 3rd from the ground, but only the 2nd from the bottom rung, even though we agree it doesn't matter in this puzzle.

#20 lighthousev

lighthousev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:39 AM

Call me goofy fellas, but if the ship is floating, hence being anchored to prevent it from drifting away, then the rising tide will also raise the ship the same amount as the rising of the tide in terms of distance from the sea bottom.

The bottom tave will always be in the same position unless the ship sinks or increases/decreases its draft due to cargo operations or ballasting/deballasting.

As for the anchor holding a ship to the bottom if it were to come to a short stay; the bouyancy of the vessel is sufficient to carry the anchor as part of its compliment. How on Earth is it going to hold it to the bottom?

Common sense prevails at every turn. Congrats to those who posted accordingly.

Kurt Niemann, MKC
Chief Petty Officer United States Coast Guard, 16 years.
"Altus Tendo"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users