Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is better - eternal bliss or a simple bread?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#31 Cold Fusion

Cold Fusion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:20 AM

What is better than eternal bliss? Nothing. But a slice of bread is better than nothing. So a slice of bread is better than eternal bliss.

The only tricky thing here is the wording. If you said:

Eternal bliss is better than nothing. A slice of bread is better than nothing. So one of the two is better than the other but both are preferable to having nothing.

But in this case, as has already been said using math, so I won't bore you with that again, Saying nothing is better than eternal bliss is saying that there isn't anything better. I am going to make this even more interesting, for living things nothing is death. Death is the only thing better than bliss even though if you think about it they are the same in the true state of bliss, except bliss is impossible because come on Murphy's Law people.

Saying the bread is better than nothing means it is better than not having eternal bliss. Nothing in that case meaning possesion of something (or nothing). So in a way its saying if you can't get eternal bliss, you might as well eat some bread to pass the time =).

Just some weird language, my ideas, whatever things.

Btw you guys are lucky I didn't get more in depth. I could write dozens of pages before getting bored. Good day, I hope you get over that headache I gave you, j/k

#32 ddaug4uf

ddaug4uf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

Something is better than eternal bliss.

Bread is better than something.

therefore: Bread is better than eternal bliss.

#33 size8

size8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

What is better than eternal bliss...? This is just anoying. Saying that "nothing" is better emplies that "nothing" is something. But we all know that "nothing" is in fact just that... nothing. It has no value. Therefor eternal bilss is better.

#34 promontorium

promontorium

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:19 AM

This is more of a pun than a paradox. The word “nothing” has more than one conceptual meaning. “There is nothing better than eternal bliss.” Rephrased; “There is no state greater than the state of eternal bliss”. “Bread is better than nothing.” Rephrased; “The state of bread is better than no state at all.” The two definitions of “nothing” involved are 1. “No existing or none existing thing” 2. “That which does not exist.” Words do not exist in a vacuum very well in the English language and rely heavily on context to give meaning. Answer: by the two sentences given, eternal bliss is better than bread.

#35 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

This is more of a pun than a paradox.

actually, it is listed as a sophism

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#36 hipowertech

hipowertech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

Christ said, "My bread is to do the will of GOD".
therefore bread=Will of GOD
Doing the will of GOD=Eternal Bliss
therefore bread=eternal bliss

enjoy a bite of that
Peace.

#37 Malletman

Malletman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

I don't think this qualifies as a paradox. "Nothing" has two different meanings here.

Consider:

{Eternal Bliss} < {} (Empty set)
{0} > {Bread}

As neither of the initial posits relate explicitly, there's no direct comparison... At most, we can speculate that:

{0} < {Bread} =< {Eternal Bliss}

#38 einsteinsdumbcousin

einsteinsdumbcousin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

it depends if you like to spread bliss on your bread

#39 Zucriy Amsuna

Zucriy Amsuna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

"What is better: eternal bliss or a simple bread?
What is better than eternal bliss? Nothing. But a slice of bread is better than nothing. So a slice of bread is better than eternal bliss."

I hate it when such things like this are listed as "sophisms"... The question asks which is better, not what is better than what. Eternal bliss is better than a piece of bread. It's as simple as that. It doesn't ask if anything is better than eternal bliss; it asks if eternal bliss is better than bread (or if bread is better than bliss--and thus, if nothing is better than eternal bliss, then eternal bliss is better than bread).

Christ said, "My bread is to do the will of GOD".
therefore bread=Will of GOD
Doing the will of GOD=Eternal Bliss
therefore bread=eternal bliss

enjoy a bite of that
Peace.

And to hipowertech:
Bread would thus equal "to do the will of GOD", an action, not "the will of GOD", a noun. Also, doing the will of GOD is not eternal bliss to some people. Besides, "eternal bliss" would be much more freedom than having to even deal with any such divine being; more freedom and free thinking... Let's just say that there is no such thing as eternal bliss and bypass this matter. <!-- s:roll: --><!-- s:roll: -->

And thus end my thoughts on this "sophism." Sorry if I offended anyone. ^_^;;;

#40 biostrategem

biostrategem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

Not truly a paradox, as "nothing" is double-defined.

In saying "nothing" is better than eternal bliss, "nothing" equals the empty set - there are no elements in the set that is greater than nothing.

Saying bread is better than nothing, the metaphor is of human hunger. Here, "nothing" contains the human animal state of "hungry".

The two sets of "nothing" are not compared equally. A paradox requires that two sets are identical and contain competing elements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users