Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is better - eternal bliss or a simple bread?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#91 Logic Master

Logic Master

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

This is like something i learned in Geometry. If A<B and B<C then A<C, it has a name but i don't remember it

#92 ADParker

ADParker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:08 AM

This is like something i learned in Geometry. If A<B and B<C then A<C, it has a name but i don't remember it

Transitive relation.

But that is not what is going on here. ;)

Eternal_Bliss < Nothing (Nothing better than Eternal Bliss)
and Nothing < Slice_of_Bread (Slice of Bread better than Nothing)
then Eternal_Bliss < Slice_of_Bread. (Slice of Bread better than Eternal Bliss)

The error is one of Equivocation; the two instances of "Nothing" do not mean exactly the same thing.

#93 davorkufek

davorkufek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

The first nothing = any something ever (except eternal bliss)
if you were to use the same definition on the bread, than nothing could be the same as bread or better. just not eternal bliss

#94 hugemonkey

hugemonkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:25 AM

Here are some of my favorite sophisms:

God is love.
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind.
Therefore...
Stevie Wonder is God.

or

Time waits for no man.
No man is an island.
Therefore...
Time waits for an island.

#95 No1slight

No1slight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:39 AM

lol if it wasn't for the "therefor"s or the statement at the beginning of the post i would have thought hugemonkey's post were just something that went off on a wild tangent.

anyway i agree with the previous post that says it's really a matter of opinion.

Edited by No1slight, 12 May 2009 - 01:40 AM.

#96 wasa

wasa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

this is nothing more than a play on meaning

nothing is better than eternal bliss, meaning that anything you could compare would not be better

bread better than nothing, meaning that having bread is better than having nothing

so to clarify this

eternal bliss can not be compared, and if all you have is bread, be happy because you could have nothing

#97 Austin CG

Austin CG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

It comes down to the use of the word "Nothing". Thee first time it is used as "No thing" as in there is not a thing better than eternal bliss, whereas the second time nothing is used more literally, because simple bread is better than nothing.

#98 Avandeskar

Avandeskar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

In that case, Nothing would be defined as zero constraint, or absolute freedom . But then it means it isn't null or zero, as in both cases is used the same:not INSIDE a mathematical system, or as a logical variable. Therefore it is OUTSIDE, whether as a generator of or alternative extended version of, those systems. It follows it is not to be used as a reference, an ELEMENT of a set, but meaningless in the choice, like infinity:you don't get"closer to it", therefore don't arrange elements by how close to it they get. As the sophism is based on such a report, it belongs to an alternative logical system, and is inconsistent by this one. To "answer" the question means to find this system, otherwise answers are all meaningless

#99 Giga

Giga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:23 AM

This thread is a perfect example of overthinking. When "Nothing is better than eternal bliss" is stated, what is actually meant is "there can be no one object, no feeling, nothing better than having eternal bliss". When "Bread is better than nothing" is stated, what is meant is "having bread is better than having nothing". In a universe where only those two statements are true, bread is technically/essentially equal to eternal bliss.

The way you guys are thinking about it is having both instances of nothing mean the same thing, when they don't (unless you're a smartass).

#100 PhoenixFromTheFlames

PhoenixFromTheFlames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

My dad was an evanglist. Jesus=bread of life. Bread of life=eternal bliss As referring to not actual food but as food for the spirit. To to be rewarded etenally and the spirit not parrish and the rewards of heaven. Jesus said the bread is my body. Accepting of the spiritual bread = to eternal bliss.

So if you are spiritual: Depending on the bread, bread could mean eternal bliss. So, not taking the bread could be death of the soul.

Non religious view.
Eternal bliss=death
bread=living

We all will experiance death. Bread is a choice and death is not. Death greets us all. (sooner or later) Death is an absolute.

So, on both religous and non religous terms my choice would be the bread.

Edited by PhoenixFromTheFlames, 11 March 2010 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users