Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crocodile Sophism

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#41 TEASER2

TEASER2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:29 PM

All she has to do is guess at anything...because it is just a guess...and the child is returned. NOT guessing at all means the child is eaten.

#42 Guest_soyossif_*

Guest_soyossif_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:28 PM

The mother must simply say, "You shall not return my child alive." If she says this, then he must return the child no matter what.
A) If she is right, then the crocodile must return him.
B) If she is wrong, then she is given back her child alive anyway.
Assuming that the crocodile is telling the truth, then he must return the child. Another possibilty would be that if she is right, the crocodile could return the child dead or injured. It does not say that the kid cannot be returned dead or hurt...

#43 Some Guy

Some Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

This one is easy. All you have to do is tell the crocodile that the crocodile will take brief and temporary custody of the child. The instant she says this, the prophecy is self-fulfilled and the crocodile will be forced to return the child before the child matures into an adult.

#44 arumayor

arumayor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:33 AM

Easy.

The only way the croc can return the child is if he hasn't eaten the child. Therefore, the mother's statement must be: "You will not eat my child." That must be his fate to be returned uneaten.

#45 unsakaha

unsakaha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:29 AM

I think any guess re: the child's fate will be acceptable. The croc said that it will only eat the child if the mother does not guess her child's fate. There's no correct or wrong answer/guess, as long as the mother makes it, she can save her child.

#46 Dashire

Dashire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

She would have to tell the croc that he will eat him then if he did so he would have proven her right and broken the promise thus forcing him to return the child

#47 King Zuri

King Zuri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:02 AM

She should say you will eat him. She can't be wrong, cause if she is he will eat him proving her right.
Don't be embarressed

#48 heins57

heins57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:44 AM

J Man got it!

#49 unc0uth

unc0uth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

The crocodile told the woman only to "guess," he did not say guess correctly or correctly predict. Therefore, any guess whatsoever, correct or incorrect would mean he would have to return the child.

#50 Stiles52

Stiles52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

I would think that the only way to make ANY sense of the situation is for the woman to repeat back to the croc EXACTLY what he said to HER: "If I guess right, you'll give my baby back, if I dont, you'll eat him. That's what you'll do to him." He'd have to return the baby, because she's CORRECT NO MATTER WHAT. Eh? hehehe

ur statement seems partially true

had the croc's st8ment been like
"If you guess, what I will do with him", I will return him
so the mother could repeat "if you guess, what will I do with him" and the croc wud return the kid
but the quote includes the words " I will return him" so the logic doesnt work

I think the mother could say anything to retrieve the chiild
since all the croc wants is the mother to "GUESS"
he dint say predict the fate or speak the truth or sumthin liek that
so the mother could go on and guess anything random related to the child in order to save him

If you read the original problem, the person who listed it equated "guess" to "predict the fate", so your last paragraph is false

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users