Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crocodile Sophism

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#31 retskcah .eht

retskcah .eht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

There is no corect answer.
the only possible answer is if she says that he will give it back.
if she says any other sentence with different actions he will be unable to return it to her becouse that
action makes her guess incorect.
Some question do not have correct answers but only possible correct answers.
however is she says that he will it him he will be unable to return it to her becouse of his statement , so he will have to do something else with the chid nor to give it back , and not possible to give it back to her , unles he admits that he lied to her or similiary , possibilities are infinite and none is absolutely correct.

there is a blu object , is it black or red?
see , the only possibility to make this answer correct is to say black
becouse in the dark it is black , becouse the color is a reflection of light in our iris , converted by the brain to make a difference.
but it is not sad that there is dark so it is up to person who made the question to value its corectnes.

#32 4rr44rr

4rr44rr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

This Situation is difficult for the mother.

If she was to say, you'll eat him, although the mother may be right, the crocodile would eat him making her prediction true, then being unable to return him.
If she was to guess that he would return him, the crocodile would eat the child anyway, making her prediction untrue.

the only solution would be to say.

=

Whatever I was to say, you would eat my child without returning him.

#33 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

A. What was child doing by croc infested river? bad parenting?
B. Croc is hungry and has survived for thousands of years therefore smarter than humans
C. Shoot it so that it does not attack any more disobedient kids, console mother for her loss and get on with life

#34 shadok

shadok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:56 AM

The mother would say:
You will return my child because you cannot fulfill your promise when i say: you will eat it

Indeed if you eat it, I am right and you will have to return it but cannot fulfill your promise...
If you don't eat it, then i m wrong, and you will have to eat it.... then I will be right and you will have to return it, but cannot fulfill your promise...

so the croc returned the child and she was right....

--------------

my comment:
Whatever the mother says, the croc can do the opposite and eat the child, or do what she says and give it back (we don't know!!)
So to "force" the croc in one way or another (that is not being at its mercy), the mother needs to use "self-referencing" in formal logic; in this case the fact the croc cannot fulfill its promise under certain conditions....

#35 trebic

trebic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

She could say 'You will submerge the child underwater'...

Hopefully the crocodile will take the child underwater before actually eating the child, this would be correct in the fate of the child and so he would have to give the child back to the mother. But the crocodile never said he would give the child back unharmed...

#36 fallenangel274

fallenangel274

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

well she could just kill the crocodile

#37 Coltrane1011

Coltrane1011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

Here is the answer
The woman would have to say "you will eat my child". if the crocodile gives back the child her answer would be false. if he ate the child her answer would be true but he could not give back the child because he had already eaten him.

#38 kenaniah

kenaniah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

Under the assumption that the woman can only respond "you will eat" or "you will give back", there are two possibilities:

1. She says "you will give back". This forces the croc to keep his word. At this point the croc can either eat the child or give the child back, and either way there is no paradox - either she guessed correctly and got the child back, or guessed wrong and the child got eaten.

2. She says "you will eat". This forces the croc to be a liar. Either the croc eats the child, in which case she predicted correctly, but he didn't keep his word; OR, the croc returns the child, in which case she predicted wrong, and again, he didn't keep his word.

Personally, if I was the croc, I would rather the woman leave the choice with me, than force me to be a liar, in which case, being a Sophist, I would certainly eat the child, purely out of punity.

Now, if the woman is allowed to respond outside of "you will eat" or "you will give back", then any "always true" response about the childs fate would result in the child being given back (assuming the croc keeps his word). One is the previously stated "you will decide". I also thought of "the child will die" - which is true in *any* case - the child will die at some point in his life, and hence the croc, if keeping his word, would have to return the child.

#39 Teymour

Teymour

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

The Mother should say: "You control the fate of my child"

#40 btrombatt

btrombatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

Isn't the solution to the question rather simple? The Crocodile states that is she guesses what he is going to do with him, he will return him. If she is incorrect, he will eat the boy. It would seem the logical thing to guess that the Crocodile is going to eat the boy. First, the riddle states that it is a SLIM Crocodile, meaning it probably hasn't eaten in a while. Also, given the Crocodile's statement, if he is going to eat the boy, the woman gets the child back. If the Crocodile has intentions other than eating him, and she guesses that he will eat the boy, the Crocodile would eat the boy. However, being that she guessed he would eat the boy, was wrong, and the boy was to be eaten, she, therefore, answered correctly, thus returning the boy to her safely. It's all in the interpretation of the question. If one is to take the stance that the woman is to guess what the Crocodile is originally going to do with the child, then she has a 1:infinite chance of getting it correct. However, if it is taken that the Crocodile means the final purpose for the boy, the guessing that the Crocodile is going to eat the boy ensures his safe return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users