Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crocodile Sophism

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#281 princedragon7

princedragon7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

I don't think that this is a paradox. It sounds like one. The word "guess" doesn't belong because there is nothing to guess about. This is more like an 'Honestant and Swindicant' problem becuase the mother either says "crocodile gives the child back" and the croc does it or the croc "deceives" the woman and eats the child.

if you look at the so called paradox it says if you dont guess his fate, ill eat him, so as long as you provide a guess you'll get him back either way, because any guess is a correct guess but if you stay silent and not provide an answer then your screwed lady

the paradox is that she say you will eat my child. if he eats her she is correct if he dosnt she is incorrect

#282 Utkrisht123

Utkrisht123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

The mother should say "You will eat my child"

#283 10001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

"you are going to eat him"

1) statement is true <=> the crocodile is actually going to eat the child <=> she guessed correctly <=> crocodile is going to (/it has to) return the child

2) statement is not true <=> the crocodile is not going to eat the child <=> he is going to return the child

#284 Mad mahogany

Mad mahogany

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Most likely answer would be to induce an infinite loop
If the mother says "You won't return my child"
If the crocodile doesn't return the child, the mother is true, and the crocodile has to return it, deeming the mother false, thus leading to an infinite process

#285 bookworm14

bookworm14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

its pretty obvious that the only way the child's mother could save him is if she says the crocodile will eat her child. It would be untrue and the crocidile will eat the child which makes the statement she said correct. The crocodile will have to return the child.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users