Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crocodile Sophism

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#251 Crissy J.

Crissy J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

But if the mother says that he is going to eat the child then that means he guessed it wrong so he must eat the child but if he does eat the child then that means she guessed it right so he must give the child back but if she guessed it right then he must eat the child... THIS IS DEFINITELY A PARADOX!!!

#252 skylarblackem24

skylarblackem24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

She could say, "You will give me my child back if I don't answer you correctly." That is what the crocodile said he would do.

#253 chactation

chactation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

The mother should reply "you will eat my child" because if the crocodile ate the child after she said that, it would mean that she was correct, therefore the croc should have returned the child. So, either way the mother is incorrect, but if she is incorrect saying that the croc will eat her child, then he would have to return it, or else she would be correct, meaning he should have returned it. On the other hand, if she had said "you will return my child" the croc would have eaten the child, implying that she was incorrect, for if he returned the child, it would imply that she was correct.

Therefore She Should Reply "You Will Eat My Child".

#254 joekemon

joekemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Spoiler for hint

#255 puzzleperson254

puzzleperson254

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

honestly, i would say "you plan to eat him" for 2 reasons:

1 he made the proposition in what he said therefore he is hoping u will guess incorrectly, so then he'll get to eat the child. it's the whole point of the sophism!!!!

and 2. even if thats not what he planed to do since you guessed incorrectly he now plans to eat the child wich would make the statement true!!!

i no this is confusing but i think it would be your best bet!!!

#256 Oreos.

Oreos.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:39 AM

Say "You will eat my child." Then, the crocodile would be confused and be forced to let the baby go.

#257 storygirl101

storygirl101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

She should say that the crocodile will eat her child, then she might have a chance at the confused crocodile.

#258 Mitch Whan

Mitch Whan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:51 AM

Spoiler for Crocodile Sophism Answer

Edited by Mitch Whan, 23 November 2011 - 03:53 AM.

#259 Sean Gong

Sean Gong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

So you see, the mother would definitely say, "you will eat my child" as if that is false, the crocodile WILL eat the child however, it means that the statement is actually TRUE. The wrong thing to say, which is, "you will not eat my child" and if it is false, the crocodile WILL eat the child confiming that this statement was incorrect.

#260 Poppy224177

Poppy224177

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:11 AM

My answer to this puzzle is that the mother should say "I guess you will eat my child." Because then if the crocodile deemed it false he would have to eat the child but couldn't because her guess would then be true. And if what she said was true then the crocodile would let the child go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users