Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#51 callumny

callumny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:26 AM

It is best to assume Destiny does not exist:

If Destiny exists, it doesn't matter what I believe or do, because everything is predetermined.
If Destiny does not exist, and I believe it does not, I will go about my life normally.
If Destiny does not exist, and I believe it does, I might refrain from doing anything because I believe everything is predetermined.

There is no way to know whether it exists or not, and if it did, there would be no point in knowing!

#52 Linzd21

Linzd21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

Destiny is a word we created to explain ALL the factors we don't understand or accept.
also if you believe in destiny you also know that you cannot know what your destiny is. If you are ill, you are ill until you are well or die. Either way is your destiny. Pre-determining your own destiny is a supposition. if he is ill he better go to the doctor, we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

#53 0gracefulgirl0

0gracefulgirl0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:05 PM

I think that an answer is very plausible. What if it is your destiny to seek help with ur illness (e.g. go to a doctor) so therefore it is still possible to be ill if u go against your destiny, don't see the doctor, and die.

#54 urkspleen

urkspleen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:11 AM

Taking a pro-destiny point of view, one could argue that destiny will fix itself and every action taken by "free will" (a force independent of destiny) will eventually find a way to reach the same outcome, albeit by a different means. An example of this could be, " Your destiny is to be rich. You have a choice (granted by free will) to be a corporate CEO or a well renowned sports star." Either way you choose what to do, but your destiny of becoming rich is still achieved. However, if you look at destiny as an entire plan of one's existence, every action must take place. Basically, if destiny says that you will go to a doctor and regain your health then you will visit a doctor and regain your health. The idea behind this standpoint is that destiny takes into account your thought process, because the author of the master-plan knows that you choose to see the doctor, and thus it is inscribed in the book of destiny. One last standpoint could be that the story of your destiny is written as you live your life, and is not so pre-determined. You might have it in you that you will be a great influence, but is not decided if that is positive or negative. A great example for those who are familiar is the destiny of Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars movies. Anakin is destined to bring balance to the force. The jedi believe that he will accomplish it by destroying the Sith, but rather he becomes one of them (them being the Sith). Balance is achieved, but rather than the positive way in which the jedi hope he will save the lives of many, he kills thousands with the sith as Darth Vader.

WATCH STAR WARS!!

#55 innovator

innovator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

I have the answer

has it ever occured to anyone it is the man's destinty TO GO to the doctor's?

#56 Malaine

Malaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:50 AM

I think that if it was his destiny for him to get well then it will happen, not meaning that if he does nothing he will, but that somehow he will get well,

[*]Maybe it is an obvious reaction to events like that occuring that causes every living thing to react to these events in a certain way...
For istants if your are sick you might want to get well

[*]Or maybe, if it is destiny, it is impossible for you to have a choice of what you want to do, or be put in a situation that can change you destiny. (If u know what i mean)

#57 Pandemic1444

Pandemic1444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:15 PM

It's Impossible to prove or to debunk (like the existence of God) that's what always confused me. No matter what happens it can be written off as destiny and no one can prove it wrong short of going back in time and doing things a different way. Just as no one can prove the existence of God because all that are said to be able to see him don't return to tell of it. The two were masterfully created so as to leave no room for argument, no physical evidence. But I suppose one could marvel at the myths simplicity without taking the thing itself seriously, so I continue to wonder.

#58 Chris flying one

Chris flying one

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:33 AM

I asked myself this question 8 years ago, when I was turning 11. =)

The answer is this: destiny is man made.

#59 darthmat

darthmat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:10 AM

Destiny doesn't exist.

Juts a repetitive cycle of history.

#60 CXNYC

CXNYC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

This is not a paradox!
Destiny is simply a function of "cause" (and effect) over time.

Just for fun, a little pseudo-math explanation follows..
-------------------------------------------------------

(I)
Let:
D = Destiny
U = the Universe
t = time (where t > 0, ie. the Universe exists)

If we define Destiny as simply being the state of the Universe at any given point in time, then we can represent it by: D = U(t)

(II)
Now let:
b = your time of birth
d = your time of death
F = your Free Will, or set of causes you influenced directly.
C = Set of all causes outside of your direct influence. (forces of nature, the free will of others you don't know, etc.)

Then the state of the Universe at any given point in time can further be represented by this function: U(t) = C(t) + F(t)
*where F(t) exists only for (b < t < d), ie. while you're alive.

(III)
Since your Destiny is a subset of U(t), it can also be said that: Dy = C(t) + F(t)

We could try to break F(t) down further and debate if it can ever be bigger than C(t) or if it even has limits (as in, is b
In essences, your Destiny depends in part on your Free Will.
Exactly how much can be up to you!
-------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line:
Use your Free Will to make your own Destiny!
CHOOSE to LIVE YOUR LIFE!!!

..just in case F(t) = 0 when (t > d) is true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users