Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#41 thecanbyman

thecanbyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:19 AM

The question of destiny ultimately boils down to free will, and to be honest, I don't see that there is any reason to believe in free will. Think back, has there been any point in your life in which you acted without cause? Everything is caused by something. If the man did not go to the doctor because he thought his destiny was to have his leg heal, then he would be wrong because it would be his destiny if he had gone to the doctor, but him being stupid and thinking that it would happen anyway was actually his destiny, and he would be out of luck.

#42 1337Atreyu

1337Atreyu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:22 AM

If destiny truly controlled everyone, and if one person were to be sick, their destiny would be to go to the doctor. If a person was truly destined to be better, then they would have that decision to make whether or not to go to the doctor. Destiny would dictate that they would go to the doctor as well. part of destiny is keeping in line with the rest of itself.

#43 moh

moh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:30 AM

If destiny designed a master plan, which defines everything that is to happen, then your choice as well as the outcome has already been decided including whether or not you will question your destiny.
Alternatively there may be a multiple choice destiny, for the ultimate master plan, like deciding the direction of a story from a number of options, in this case two decisions, either leading to the same two possible outcomes that may or may not be dependant upon the first decision. It may all be due to destiny but destiny gave an opportunity effect the outcome while having all bases covered.

#44 size8

size8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

If if there was a destiny list that stated your health would improve, it would have the reason for the imporvement listed before it. Doing the thing that was listed is what would improve your health. If there was no reason listed then none is required and no action is needed.

#45 PictureThis

PictureThis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:40 PM

A. One does not necessarily have to believe in destiny.

B. Assuming there is a destiny and it directs everything that happens
in one's life towards a specific goal, then how is choosing to go to the doctor arbitrary?
If you go to the doctor then it is destiny controlling you and maybe
getting well or dying is the after effect of the first stimulus.

C. Unless, we assume that destiny is merely an outline given to one at birth. Then
going to the doctor becomes arbitrary. It merely becomes a mind game. Take, for example,
a person who has worked very hard and failed. He will not feel as bad as the person who
has done nothing and has failed. Since we cannot know our fate before hand, we try
because it gives us a feeling of peace because we did everything in our power to change an outcome.
It's Illogical but hey, all emotions are illogical.

#46 JohnnyMKhaos

JohnnyMKhaos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:07 PM

The fact that the sentence is started out as "IF" destiny designed a master plan... Then we would know "IF" we were going to be healthy or not... Not Guessing with "IF" but "knowing". Thus "knowing" that we were going to be either Healthy or not after acquiring this "said" illness, it would also need to be true, that we "now know" how we become healthy again or not due to our decision. What does it matter anyways, since we do not know. Thus this cute but useless paradox continues down the rabbit hole.

Johnny M Khaos

#47 hippieinlove

hippieinlove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

If destiny is real then it would also be told in your destiny that you will go to the doctors and get well or that you will not go and die. There are many variations of what the out come could be, however it is safe to say that if there such a thing as destiny then you would follow the course of your destiny thus the actions you take would be apart of the story.

#48 biostrategem

biostrategem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:16 AM

If destiny designed a master plan which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless, for example, to go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, then I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or not. If it is my destiny to not regain my health, then seeing a doctor can't help me.
How could you question the presented opinion?

===============================================

This isn't a true paradox, but a free will argument.

If I am sick and have free will, I can choose to live or die.
If I am sick and do not have free will, I will die if I am destined to, and I will live if I am destined to.
I will not know what my destiny is unless I am alive.
I will not know if I am destined to live until I live.
I will not know if I am destined to die until I die.
If I die, I will not know either way.

Therefore:

If I live, I could have either free will or destiny.
If I die, neither scenario can be proven.

In summary, the choice to live fulfills both scanarios of free will and destiny, all at once equating them and canceling one another out. Neither matters.

#49 HaleS.91

HaleS.91

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:03 AM

Something you have to take into account is that we don't know destinies plan. If there is a master destiny plan, and one thinks that this makes going to the doctor useless, then they are destined to be stupid enough to die of some illness or another. Part of our destiny is the illusion of free will. It's best to follow this illusion, rather than try to just fly by and let destiny take it's course. Destiny favors those who don't trust destiny.

#50 biostrategem

biostrategem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

If you work it out, knowing or not knowing destiny's plan is irrelevant. The question of free will or not free will is solved with the outcome, "It doesn't matter."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users