Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#31 treed429

treed429

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

Destiny is not a paradox but mearly a crutch.

It is easy going through life blaming all of your bad decisions on destiny when the blame should be laid at your own feet.
Our society breeds victims because we portray to our youth that nothing is their fault from a very early age. When they do something wrong then the blame is laid on the parents who then blames the system etc. etc. etc.....

The same way that we can blame destiny for things not turning out the way we want then. Man breaks leg, decides not to see doctor, leg heals badly, blame destiny. If the man had made an educated decision then his leg had a better chance of healing properly. Destiny is not the benifactor of the mans good decision, no he will take full credit for making the right choice. The same way that if a child turns out right a parent will beam and let everyone know that they had a hand in it. I bet you will never hear that is was destiny for their child to turn out right.

So, again, Destiny is a crutch.

#32 Raeja

Raeja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:54 AM

"There are no choices. Nothing but a straight line. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask "Why me?" and "What if?" When you look back and see the branches, like a pruned bonsai tree, or forked lightning. If you had done something differently, it wouldn't be you, it would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions." - Max Payne

Destiny and fate are intuitive and instantaneous: If it happens it was meant to happen. The concept of anything happening differently is impossible in almost all possible circumstances. And don't bring up the paradox about "What if you go back in time and change the future??" If you go back and bring about a new future then the original you would never need to/get to go back and blah blah blah we all know those arguments about time theory.

#33 nona

nona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

It's really like with believing in anything. To find a solution one should just assupt 2 things:

1. it's impossible to KNOW that destiny exists
2. it's impossible to KNOW what the destiny is

So - if one is a rational man, and all paradoxes are created for those exclusively - you better go and see the doctor in any case (1), and it is probably what your destiny force to happen (2)...

#34 zaperrer

zaperrer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:16 PM

If I'm destined to get better than I would get better by being destined to go to the doctor, and if I'm destined to stay sick than I would be destined to stay home, all of this assuming just going to the doctor would make you better which duh, wouldn't.

King of run on sentences!!!

#35 shimokara

shimokara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:55 AM

if you are sick and you know you are destined to get better (you don't know how you got better) so if you don't go to the doctor when you actually should have would you not change destiny and your fate as well?

#36 mydaysky

mydaysky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

not really a paradox but more of a way of thinking. Nothing to solve or even think about here. If you believe in an unchangeable destiny, then don't bother with a doctor. If you think otherwise, then make that appointment

#37 smalltimepro

smalltimepro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

The very concept of Destiny is derived from religion, and therefore must have an adjoining supreme being that must determine the destiny. In saying so we must assume that the supreme being is not restricted by the dimension of time (more of a religious belief). And so the supreme being is able to move in time and know ahead of all time every decision we are going to make. That knowledge converted to a so called document is 'Destiny'

Thus the concept of Destiny does not really contradict the concept of free will. Religion does not really deny the concept of free will, because it is upon our willfull decisions that we may be judged.

Here is a beautiful example. In the example we have a supreme being with knowledge of the future (destiny). And 1 human being.

The human being is presented with three different glasses each containing a drink. He is asked to pick up one of them. The supreme being meanwhile writes down through his knowledge of future the choice that the person is going to make.
Notice know that even though his choice of drink is pre-written (in so called destiny), he is absolutely free to make his choice and the writing is not determining or controlling his decision.

Destiny is therefore only devine knowledge of all future events.

#38 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

Lazy-bones Paradox - Back to the Paradoxes

If destiny designed a master plan, which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless to for example go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, than I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or I don't. And if I shall not be healthy again, than I will not with or without help.
If I am ill and destiny has a definite plan for me, than it is useless to go anywhere.
How could you question the presented opinion?

Could destiny's master plan not include some cause to make you go visit that physician?? Destiny might have a purpose for that doctor which depends on you going there, and if you don't follow yours, you might destroy TWO of destiny's plans. Ofcourse, who knows what destiny works like, and what it works WITH... I would not count on destiny as an excuse for laziness.

BoilingOil

#39 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

If destiny is what is 'meant to be' then every choice you make becomes destiny. That is the only definitive reality. Any other options, ie. changing your mind, trying to 'outwit' destiny, or over-think every decision by trying to 'beat' destiny becomes irrelevant.

So, whether you go to the doctor or not, ultimately if you believe there is a 'plan' for you then your final decision is what was 'planned' all along. The outcome would be considered 'destiny' no matter which end result were true. Your resulting health would not come into play, it would simply be the outcome of a decision you were meant to make.

Gee, I hope I didn't sound confusing there.

Oh, THIS is a beautiful, short explanation. Thanx!

BoilingOil

#40 BrainMagMo

BrainMagMo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:44 AM

This paradox is simple.
Your destiny is either "to go to a doctor and get better" or "to not go to a doctor and get better".
Just because you will get better, doesn't mean you shouldn't go to a doctor.
Every choice you make is what destiny decided you will make, therefore, destiny is irrelevent and anyone who claims to know theirs can easily be wrong.

(I signed up just for this paradox)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users