Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#171 Ravyn Gale

Ravyn Gale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

if they were destined to go to a doctor they would

#172 johnflabriola

johnflabriola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:12 AM

Don't go to the doctor. Heal yourself. Any other advice is misinformation.

#173 omthkkr

omthkkr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

This can be re-defined in an analogous sense as -
Would it be useful if a future-telling machine was ever invented??

Because, it would just show the future, i.e, if it shows one is going to die tomorrow, from an accident for instance, he would have to live one day in grief, for if he tries to save himself from that cause, here by staying indoors, then that machine would prove ineffective, and if he does die like that, then he had to live 1 day in grief. So, the machine would not be useful as such, but still, you would know the future.

Comment on this paradox...make it clearer if you can.
Thanks

#174 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

that's more confusing than the original paradox in my opinion. what man would give his life just to prove a machine correct?

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#175 iSpelBadlie

iSpelBadlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

your destiny is to choose whether to go to the doctor. i think of destiny sort of like those choose-your-own-adventure books, there are some choices and different outcomes, but you cant control the exact outcome.

#176 9thParadox

9thParadox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

It's difficult to reason out the nature of destiny, yet with the utilization of a metaphor we can paint its absurdity clearly. Imagine there being some omnipotent all-knowing being that controls the very fabric of reality. Some people call him/her God. S/he decides to create these fleshy things for their own purpose and can control every decision they make. So in essence God is a puppeteer and we are their marionettes. They've come all this way to have their puppets argue with each other over the nature of destiny and free will. If there is purpose and design, or an inherent destiny, it would seemingly be apparent to all it influences.

#177 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

i think, therefore I am;

but I am, because of he;

and he, is he, who thinks.

#178 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well, if there isn't free will, then this whole discussion about free will was preordained.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#179 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yes, but preordained doesnt = pointless

#180 mmmiles

mmmiles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

"You didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You came here to understand the choice."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users