Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#161 Bobohead24

Bobohead24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:34 AM

One explanation is
Spoiler for Reason
I don't exactly know how destiny works, so I could be wrong with this.

#162 missepicfail

missepicfail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

Ok so this might irritate a few people but here is how i see this paradox:

I liken it to the idea that I was taught when I used to attend church which is that God already knows who is going to be saved and how they will come to him. Now my first thought upon hearing this was "why bother with repenting for my sins or living a god fearing life if God already knows whether or not I will be saved? Nothing i do it going to change what has already been predetermined."
And the reality of both situations is that it all depends on your belief system. If you choose to believe that destiny or God or fate determines how your life plays out then you will make all your decisions based on that belief. On the other hand, if you believe that you control your life then all your decisions will be made based on your choice of control.

Ultimately it all boils down to the simple fact that you are going to make whatever choice you want based on your feelings and desires at the time.

#163 db-riddles

db-riddles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:37 AM

Well, this guy doesn't believe that his choices will impact anything. That's his problem.

#164 Nikhil121

Nikhil121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

Getting well soon will be in his destiny, provided that he visits the doctor.

#165 yunchov

yunchov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

if the doctor is part of destiny or not :)
if it is - you go to doctor, if not - you sure better don't go
(maybe doctor will broke your leg or do something else upon you)

lazy-bone paradox is opposite of barber paradox.
you can use it in same way :)

if patient will not put doctor in your destiny (to help/kill him), better don't go there.
if barber will not convince villagers they need to be shaved, better don't go there.

#166 Riddle_Lover

Riddle_Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

I think that destiny does exist but it depends on your ations.
The way you made things out was that if destiny does exist then basically we're all pointless, the whole world is pointless and that we have no choice in anyhting because something/someone has already planned it and we are just entertainment for this person/thing. But that means that everything we feel is made up and the whole world is just a big game to this person/thing. Like we're toys who never see our owner and think that our actions are of our own doing.
But if you think about how much we feel and how complicated life is it just proves that the world can't be a figment of another person/things imagination. You make it out as if the world is just some thoughts in some other person/thing's head but that's impossible. There's just too much going on for it all to be made up.
So I disagree with you on the whole destiny thing but I do believe in it. I think that destiny is like one of those conterfit coin puzzles.When explaining your answer you need to explain what if's...
eg. 1.Weigh Coins ABCD vs EFGH. If they balance go to 2. If they don't go to 2.2. and so on and so on.
So I, personally, believe that destiny depends on what you think and how you feel and what you do. If the doctor isn't bothered and just wants to finish his/her shift and doesn't do his/her best to help you then mabye you'll get beter maybe you won't but the doctor will have to pay if things don't work out. Destiny will make sure of that and destiny may reward you later for trying! However if you don't even bother on going to the doctor, if you give up on the doctor before you even visit him/her then you've got no chance of avoiding destiny. Destiny will make you pay. If you give up on everything without looking for a bright side and without even trying then destiny won't reward you! If you give up then destiny will give up on you.

Edited by Riddle_Lover, 16 June 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#167 storygirl101

storygirl101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Maybe for this part of your destiny to come to pass, you have to go to the doctor, or you will remain sick. So there.

#168 riddlemetodeath

riddlemetodeath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

destiny "knows" what choice you'll make.

It "knows" that you will go to the doctors for medicine.

#169 real_user

real_user

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

you could get well sooner if you go to a doctor, or you could learn the bad news faster and put yourself out of your misery. (I know, a disgusting thought)

#170 otah007

otah007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

In my religion (Islam) everything that will ever be done is already known by God/the creator/the one who controls destiny, whatever you want to call him. What you do is your choice, it is just already known. So "fulfilling your destiny" in Islam means doing what you were going to do anyway. It is in no means influenced by God. Most of the time, anyway. You could argue that God created everything and his creation influences you to make certain decisions, but then we'd be here here until the end of time (another good topic, actually).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users