Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#141 natebhere

natebhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

The way to answer any thoughts on destiny as to whether or not to going to the doctor to live is destiny. To me has always been an easy one. When speaking of destiny by rule of cause and effect anyone's destiny is every ones destiny. If you're sick and you choose to go to the doctor then it is you destiny to do so. Destiny has at that moment written that you are to go to the doctor, because the guy to your left who you didn't think could see you as laughing his a** off because you were picking your nose. He now is in a better mood when he gets bad new at work and he ends up not taking it out on his secretary who then doesn't cut some one of on the way to lunch not causing an accident that doesn't delay a a police office from responding to a domestic violence dispute that would have ended in a shooting with a stray bullet coming through your window and hitting you in the head killing you instantly. Every thing that happens happens for everyone's betterment. You may not believe it but it does. Being sick enough to go to the doctor my not seam like something good but hey it is a lot better than getting shot in the head while you are sleeping.

#142 ConfusionZ

ConfusionZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

I would say destiny is only true for an instant in time since even the smallest event sets forth a new destiny, you cannot have a single destiny if you have free will. I think fate is a better word since it implies that whatever will happen will definitely happen regardless of your actions.

#143 maybem

maybem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

Who says it is his destiny to regain his health?

#144 sirenacarolina

sirenacarolina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

According to the Bible...

Destiny is...

Spoiler for A Common Destiny For All...

Edited by sirenacarolina, 24 October 2009 - 07:48 AM.

#145 AndreBlack

AndreBlack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

If it where a destiny, it will bee influenced by the way we think or act about it. Although we can not know the things to come, we can predict and therefore act accordingly to our needs or our desire. The attitude taken depends on the person, and the manner of interacting with the destiny in this paradox is letting it to do the work for you.

#146 highwalker

highwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

Spoiler for I am a Hindu hence... - please this is not supposed to be a religious thing. Ignore if it seems otherwise...

#147 Spadge

Spadge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

This is so simple.
There is no fate. There is no destiny. Its just a myth.

#148 Accipter

Accipter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:12 AM

Destiny is irrelevant.

Choose to act and your destiny was to act.
Choose not to act and your destiny was not to act.

Your choices do not affect destiny because destiny is independent of them - this is the very definition of destiny.

Destiny only affects your actions if you assume to have knowledge of your own destiny, which is impossible by definition.

So in the end, if what you do has no affect on your destiny, the do whatever you want to do; Don't let any assumptions you have about your own destiny affect you decisions.

Faith in free will is as good as free will itself.

#149 HavingFun

HavingFun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:14 AM

Destiny determines the choices, free will chooses between them

#150 grantf86

grantf86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

It is not useless. Perhaps it is his or her own destiny to go to a doctor to cure the illness so why would it be useless? You may not go to a doctor to regain you're health and regain it naturally but what if you were supposed to go to a doctor to cure it and you didn't go to the doctor and then died from that illness instead of living? And maybe it was destiny that you would go to a doctor and attempt to cure you're illness but failed at curing it? If destiny existed, life would be boring because you wouldn't be able to change anything. Everything would be set on a certain track or course of events. It is like a train chugging along on a track and there being an alternate track but for some reason not being able to go on that alternate track?
I might only be 13 year old, but this is how I view it. This is also an arguement against religion that
I take the side of.

Edited by grantf86, 22 March 2010 - 08:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users