Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#121 Craig D-Palmer

Craig D-Palmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:17 AM

Destiny is just a lame and illogical word that is used to explain something good, bad or simply stagnant. I will use 3 sentences to explain:

Good (positive) – It’s my destiny that I have become the world’s fastest sprinter. Would you call this destiny or a result of practice and hard training?

Bad (negative) – It’s not my destiny to become the world’s fastest sprinter. Would you call this destiny or a person giving an excuse and trying to say the fastest guy is just distend to be the fastest regardless…

Stagnant (negative) – It’s just not my destiny to move up a rank. Destiny, or has he/she just given up?

In simple words destiny is a word people like to use to give reason to a happening.

#122 Inevitable

Inevitable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

the way i see it, is if there is such a thing as destiny, which i do not believe in, there is no way around it

you have no choice to go to the doctors, if it was predestined to, your predestined to get better, if you dont, your predestined to remain ill

so, there is no paradox, assuming destiny is real, you will get better, if that is your destiny, and if the doctor is required to get better, your have no other choice, every choice being predetermined

#123 bixsar

bixsar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

Lazy-bones Paradox - Back to the Paradoxes

If destiny designed a master plan, which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless to for example go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, than I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or I don't. And if I shall not be healthy again, than I will not with or without help.
If I am ill and destiny has a definite plan for me, than it is useless to go anywhere.
How could you question the presented opinion?

easy its your destiny to see the doctor duh

#124 nerd_3.14159

nerd_3.14159

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

if it was destiny to be healthy it would also be destiny to go to the doc to become healthy

#125 I am me

I am me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

let me ask you this: if you beleive in destiny, and whatever happens has already been decided, why question or try to fight it?
and if you don't beleive in destiny, then there's nothing to question or fight

so either way, just live your life as you see fit.

so if you get run over, it is your destiny to be run over. if you decide to go to hospital that is your destiny. if you decide to not go to hospital because you think you are tampering with your destiny, then that is your destiny.

because essentially, destiny is a path that cannot be obscured by anything. so every single little thing that we say do or think is all part of the plan(whatever the plan is) - even going against destiny itself.

#126 Ultracrepidarian

Ultracrepidarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

I'd say that it isn't useless for him to go anywhere, rather, it is impossible for him to choose to go. If he said that, well, he still felt like he had to choose, then I honestly wouldn't know what to do with him. I mean, come on, you think you're any different from mindless billiard balls? What makes you so special?

#127 sponge7

sponge7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

how about this, it is your destiny to go see the doctor or you don't regain health. Its as simple as that. whether or not you believe that destiny held the replenishment of your well being in the end there is always an ultimatum.

#128 mstkninnocence

mstkninnocence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

This paradox can best be sumed up in one of my favorite quotes with a few opinions after,

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”
-William Jennings Bryan (1860-1925)-

Destiny is not what we believe it to be, people look to it as an out, if destiny says so then it shall be, kind of thing. Destiny is not the ultimate decision maker in our lives, it merely lays the ground work for what we are to become. The choices we make shape our destiny, otherwise it is but a rough road of meaningless frivolity.

So in this case, if you are sick and don't want to go to the doctor, that is a CHOICE that ultimatly will affect your DESTINY, but destiny itself can not be held accountable for the inablility to make decisions.
;)

#129 seeksit

seeksit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

There is no such thing as absolute destiny until after it has happened.

Reality consists of the current state of every particle and every bit of energy. At the most fundamental level known to science, that current state is described by probabilistic quantum fields, not by absolutes.

As a result, our choices actually design the future. We are gods who determine destiny. If everyone reading this will step outside right now and lift your left hand and produce a little current in the air, we could all cause a massive cyclone to miss Bangladesh in 2010, saving millions of lives ;) (It's called the Butterfly Effect.)

The alternative hypothesis, the Multiverse theory, that all choices have been played out in an infinite array of parallel universes, and that time itself is an illusion, still doesn't get you off the hook. Because your train of consciousness (as a participating observer) can only take one causal path through this maze of infinite universes. (The illusion of time becomes a useful dimension for us physical beings.)

#130 Crashgirlrx

Crashgirlrx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

It's easy, you get well by going to the doctor instead of not going to the doctor!!! do you get it. ok say that its your maser plane to get well but only if you visit a doctor. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users