Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#131 joekemon

joekemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

Perhaps there is another barber in the village and many of the villagers get shaved by him. This being the case our barber could keep his promise to shave everyone who does not shave him/her self including himself, because he too gets shaved by the other barber.

Then he isn't shaving himself, which means he must shave himself, which means he must not shave him self, which means he must shave himself.....

#132 M. Shehryar Khan

M. Shehryar Khan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Mystery solved, why one should believe that barber must be shaved. The answer is that no body shaves the barber …….very simple.
OR barber gets another barber to get shaved….. also very simple

#133 ericself

ericself

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

my question is does the barber shave everyone that doesn't shave themselves weather thay want to or not. i mean if some one wants to grow their beard out,then will he break into their houses when their asleep and shave them. if not, then who sais he has to shave at all. the barber can just grow his beard out and trim it now and then (which is not the same as shaving). am i right.

#134 iamgenius

iamgenius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:10 AM

The barber doesn't shave. He looks like Brian Wilson as he trims it. :-D

#135 shiftyeyes24/7

shiftyeyes24/7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

I would of thought that with the question in hand, there can be a simpler explanation (although i am not sure it is plausible). you could say that if the barber does keep their promise, what doesn't stop a member of the public being able to shave the barber?! surely that fits the question nicely, if you think of paradoxes as questions...because you are trying to solve them really.

#136 timmee73

timmee73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else.
Who shaves the barber?

There is no absolute answer. Ok, so the barber will shave anyone that does not shave him or herself and will not shave anyone else, The barber can not shave himself as that would be someone who shaves themself. Anyone in the village that shaves or does not shave his or herself could shave the barber.The barber may not shave.

Edited by timmee73, 14 June 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#137 logiclover

logiclover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

No one shaves the barber because the barber doesn't shave.

#138 voodoogirl360

voodoogirl360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

The original version I heard had one very important difference:

In a village, there is a barber who shaves everyone that does not shave himself, and no one else.

Who shaves the barber?

In this case, there is a very simple way to circumvent the paradox:

The barber is a woman!

#139 kingkop18

kingkop18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

get it shaved from another barber ;)

#140 iSpelBadlie

iSpelBadlie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:59 AM

this is possible, cause the barber could be a connected twin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users