Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox)

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#111 RebeliousWit

RebeliousWit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else.
Who shaves the barber?

there are 2 types of people in this village 1. people who cant shave. and 2. people who can.
now, our respected barber "will shave none but the one's who don't shave themselves". this means he can not shave himself and that puts him in the type of people who can't shave themselves, thus he will have to shave himself cuz that is what he promissed.

#112 Drakonda

Drakonda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

I believe the spirit of this paradox and the time in which it may refer, there would only be one barber per village. Yet there is no rule saying his son couldn't shave him, or his wife for that matter. Just because they do not shave themselves does not mean they cannot shave each other.

#113 tbar

tbar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

The bearded man shaves the barber

#114 solongandty

solongandty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:44 AM

Sounds like a well kept Brazilian village to me!

The only way to solve the paradox is if the barber is not a 'himself' or 'herself'.

In which case the barber could be a machine, a monkey, or better still, an alien capable of making the promise. Or an asexual individual I guess.

Anyway, nobody shaves the barber or the barber shaves itself could either be correct answers.

#115 Segul

Segul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Perhaps the barber does not shave.

#116 GGJT

GGJT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

Barber Paradox (Russell's Paradox) - Back to the Paradoxes

Analogue paradox to the paradox of liar formulated English logician, philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell.
There was a barber in a village, who promised to shave everybody, who does not shave himself (or herself).
Can the barber shave himself and keep the mentioned promise?

Edited (better wording?):
In a village, the barber shaves everyone who does not shave himself/herself, but no one else.
Who shaves the barber?

This one is way too easy. The barber can only shave someone who does not shave themselves but no one else. Whether this means I shaved myself once and need a shave and the barber can't do it or if I've shave myself and the barber has nothing to shave does not matter. I repeat the other people don't matter. Obviously, the barber can't shave himself because he would be shaving someone who shaves themself. So, how does this poor barber ever get shaved? He doesn't shave. He trims, he threads but he doesn't shave. Another answer is that the information says himself OR herself. What if the barber is a himself AND a herself, hermaphrodite? I prefer my first response because the second is not likely or applicable to ordinary circumstances whereas the former is more widely acceptable.

#117 leeroyjankins

leeroyjankins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

Why couldn't the barber go to another town to get shaved.

#118 Cavenglok

Cavenglok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

The barber is a woman, or there are more than one barbers. Actually, another possibility is that he/she gets shaved by a non-barber.

BRIAN DENNIS: WARM-UP

Anyone who wants to join, or if you're looking for a certain piece of evidence, here's a link to a list of evidence. Thanks, Aaryan!

http://brainden.com/...rm-up/?p=327768

#119 Zoe's Mom

Zoe's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Spoiler for
The "Barber" is a woman - no need to shave.

#120 GWIFE

GWIFE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

Spoiler for theory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users