Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hotel Bill

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#51 Vishmi

Vishmi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

Great puzzle :)

#52 me=1337jk

me=1337jk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:27 AM

Spoiler for math needed

#53 syddem

syddem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

The way this problem is written, confuses people. Each person did not pay nine dollars, they paid ten each. So right now the manager has all thirty dollars. He gives five to the bellboy.
Manager: 25
Bellboy: 5
The Bellboy pockets two dollars and gives each person three.
Manager: 25
Bellboy: 2
Person 1: 1
Person 2: 1
Person 3: 1
Add all that up. 25+2+1+1+1= 30
They try to confuse you my making you think each person paid nine, so the manager has 27, and the three people have nothing. TRICKY!

#54 Ultrachaud

Ultrachaud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:48 AM

If you subtract $2 from the $30 they paid in total,that leaves $28 dollars,that is $25(room paid) plus the $3 the men got back.Hope it's right :)

#55 troglodyte712

troglodyte712

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:09 AM

This has always been one of my favorite logic puzzle due to its nature of trying to misinform you and make you run with that information. The first time I heard it I spent hours trying to figure out what was up with the 29 dollars before realizing it had nothing to do with the problem, each person paid 9 dollars because the money the bell boy took is factored into their cost.

That is the only way this problem has been explained, that actually made sense to me.

#56 Bill47

Bill47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

A great expalnation syddem. This puzzle is a classic case of creating confusion by comparing the wrong peices of information.

#57 NintendoMad

NintendoMad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

You aren't supposed to add the $27 and the $2 as the $2 is meant to be a part of the $27. that $2 is meant to be the 3 mens.

So, they paid $9 each so $27. $25 of this the manager has and $2 the bellboy has. The remaing $3 is the money that they got returned to them and is now back in their possesion.

#58 NintendoMad

NintendoMad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

cool puzzle!!

#59 masterofmargarita

masterofmargarita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:58 AM

yes, this is good! the amount $29 has nothing to do with the problem. here's one way to look at it:

original transaction: $10 + $10 + $10 = $30 - $5 ($3 returned to the customers, $2 pocketed by the bellboy) = $25
post transaction": $9 + $9 + $9 (now that the $3 have been returned to the customers) = $27 -$2 (now in the bellboy's pocket) = $25

the phrasing of the riddle leads you to believe that the equation requires re-adding the $2 to balance the equation by also leading you to believe that the sum you are looking for is $30, when in fact it is $25, the real cost of the room!

too funny!

#60 OonslaughtoO

OonslaughtoO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:04 AM

Maybe it will help to put it in math.

$30-$5 = $25 = ($25/3 people)*($5-$2)

= ($25/3 people)*($3)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users