Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hotel Bill

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#41 nuttyprofessor

nuttyprofessor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:09 AM

YOU"RE ALL WRONG !!!!!!

You don't split the bill into decimals !!!!

The prob exists with how the $2.00 the bell boy has is begin treated. Each person DID only pay $9.00 when they got the dollar refund. BUT YOU DO NOT ADD THE bellboys theift of $2 .00 to the $27........you SUBTRACT IT....since HE KEPT IT !!!!!!!!!

THEREFORE.............$27.00 MINUS the $2.00 for the bellboys sin..........and you get the $25.00 the room actally costs.

NOTHING COMPLICATED ABT IT. When the directions are given to you.....the joker TELLS you to ADD THE $2.00, but that is WRONG......you just didn't catch it !!!!!

#42 staggy

staggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

HERE IS HOW YOU DO THIS SIMPLE ACCOUNTING PROBLEM:

How much all three of you paid from your pocket = how much the hotel manager got + how much the bellboy got .....(i)

How much all three of you paid from your pocket
= you paid 30 chips and got back 3, so you paid 27 chips...........................................................................
............(ii)

How much the hotel manager got
= he got 30 and gave back 5 chips, so he got 25 chips...........................................................................
................(iii)

How much the bellboy got
= the money he took= 2 chips...........................................................................
..................................................(iv)

25+2=27.......so it is not supposed to add up to 30.

#43 mrow422

mrow422

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

I'm not sure,but this is what I wrote...

I think the manager still has it, or the bellboy has it.

#44 sunshipballoons

sunshipballoons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

Hotel Bill - Back to the Logic Puzzles
Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29.
Where is the remaining dollar?

Spoiler for Solution

It's not true that the each paid $9. As a group, they paid $27, which is exactly how much money is in possession of the Hotel ($25) + the bellboy ($2). So, on average, they paid $9.67 and 1/3 cent each. They each have 1/3 of the remaining $3, or $1.

#45 puzzlmaster

puzzlmaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

Both nuttyprofessor and Matthew153 are right. For those of you who are still having trouble understanding the solution and still want to divide the values into non-whole numbers, look at it this way:

Originally $30 was paid to the manager, $10 from each person
Then the manager realized that the amount due was really $25, so he gave back $5.
Problem was, not all $5 made it back to the hotel guests. The bellboy stole $2. That $2 is the extra that they paid for their room. While it is true that each of them SHOULD have paid $8.33 (25 divided by 3), they ended up each paying $9 because the bellboy stole 2 of their dollars, which divided equally ($2/3) is $0.67 per guest. $8.33 + 0.67 = $9 each. There was no change involved at all, but this is what SHOULD have been. Another way to look at it is, the guests paid $9 each (=$27), the bellboy paid -$2 (negative two...TAKING $2 is the same as PAYING NEGATIVE $2) and the manager ended up with the right amount of $25 ($27 + (-$2) = $25). The only $30 involved was the original payment but then change was given, and there was never $29 since the bellboy took instead of paying. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense to say that the manager took 30, gave back 5 (=25), the guests paid 27 (overpaying by 2) and that that overpayment didn't go to the bellboy...

#46 Budouka

Budouka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:20 AM

Sure, they each paid $9, totalling $27 paid. The Bellboy kept two dollars, and the clerk has the other twenty-five, leaving three dollars with the guests. The wording of the problem counts the bellboy's tip twice (25+2=27, 27+2=29), and doesn't count their change. I think I heard this in Jr. High.

#47 AK-Jack

AK-Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

They each paid 9.33 total. The 33 cents each wasn't given back. I would of fired the bellboy for causing all the comotion, because 33 cents is a lot of money when a hotel room is $9.33.

#48 AK-Jack

AK-Jack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

Actually, I got a totally different answer - and please tell me if I'm wrong:

For the money exchanged: The true bill was $25 and the bellboy gave each of the three guests a $1 back. Now, the total exchanged is $28. And the bellboy has $2. That equals the $30.

For the intangible part: You can't figure in that each guest paid exactly $9 for the room because the room bill was $25 which can't be divided between 3 people evenly. Each person would have paid exactly $8.33333333333333 each.

Take the $8 x's 3 people = $24
Plus $3 they were given back = $3
.33333333333333 x's 3 people = $1 <--- the missing dollar
and the bellboy has $2

Total = $30

- Hope I did this right

You are a dollar short, they paid 9.33 each.

#49 mattkonczal13

mattkonczal13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

each person didn't pay $9 because the total bill is $25. $2 was subtacted out of the equation unlike everything else was divided and multiplied. you can't multiply and divided and add and subtract in any order you want, do to order of operations. (PEMDAS)Perentases, exponents, multiply, divide, add, subtract. so remember to Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

WAY TO TRY AND SOUND SMART. IT STATES THAT THEY "PAID" 9 DOLLARS BECAUSE 1 DOLLAR WAS RETURNED. THEY INITIALLY PAID 10 DOLLARS EACH, MINUS THE 1 THE BELL BOY GAVE BACK IS 9. 10-1=9.

30(PAID)-5(RETURNED)=25(BILL)

25(BILL)+3(RETURNED)=28(BILL AND RETURNED)

28(BILL AND RETURNED)+2(BELL BOY)=30 (TOTAL)

#50 mattkonczal13

mattkonczal13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

YOU"RE ALL WRONG !!!!!!

You don't split the bill into decimals !!!!

The prob exists with how the $2.00 the bell boy has is begin treated. Each person DID only pay $9.00 when they got the dollar refund. BUT YOU DO NOT ADD THE bellboys theift of $2 .00 to the $27........you SUBTRACT IT....since HE KEPT IT !!!!!!!!!

THEREFORE.............$27.00 MINUS the $2.00 for the bellboys sin..........and you get the $25.00 the room actally costs.

NOTHING COMPLICATED ABT IT. When the directions are given to you.....the joker TELLS you to ADD THE $2.00, but that is WRONG......you just didn't catch it !!!!!

Dont put so many exclaimations and try to yell at people when your wrong. You are trying to ADD to get to 30 from 25. 25+2(bell boy) is 27. 27+3(returned) is 30. Simple as that. Research before you bash other people. Although, you were correct about the deicmal thing. That is just wrong! haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users