Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Criminal in a jail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cloud9ine

cloud9ine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

Pardon me if it's been posted.

The world's smartest thief is caught and put in a jail. At the back of the jail room are two dark tunnels. Guarding the room are two cops. One of the tunnels will lead the thief to safety, the other to death as soon as he steps in. One of the cops will tell only truth and the other only lies, the thief doesn't know which cop lies and which is honest. He also doesn't know which tunnel will save him, which will kill him.

He is given the chance to ask a single question to any one of the cops (he can pick who) and use the answer to find the tunnel to escape. The smart guy asks a question to one of the cops, the cop points to a tunnel, he escapes through the other one.

The riddle is "What did he ask?"

#2 kingofpain

kingofpain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

An honestant swindlecant problem

#3 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

yeah, it's the same problem as the execution problem.

#4 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, it's a good puzzle.

A friend of mine told me this puzzle 2 yrs ago. He said that a teacher of his in high school had given this puzzle as an extra credit assignement and promised to raise the grade of the pupil that solves it by a whole grade at the end of the semester.
I think he said that he was the only one who was able to solve it. I had found 2 solutions but the host, Roockie has found 3.

Look up: Honestants and Swindlecants III.

#5 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:24 AM

I think it was something like.
he asked one cop:
"what would the other cop say if I asked him which door was safe?"
Whichever door the cop points to would be the death door.
If you ask the liar then he is pointing to the opposite of what the truth teller would actually point to.
If you ask the truth teller he would point to where the liar would say is the safe door, obviously the death door.

#6 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

already posted ... check Honestants and Swindlecants III.

this topic is locked

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users