BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This is an old puzzle, but I've never seen it posted here so I thought I'd post it and see how well people can solve it. It does take a little reasoning.

A lady is in a hardware store. She asks the clerk, "how much is 1?" The clerk says "99 cents." She asks the clerk, "how much is 12?" The clerk says "$1.98". The lady says "ok, I want 144." The clerk says "Ok, that will be $2.97." What was the lady buying?

4 answers to this question

This is an old puzzle, but I've never seen it posted here so I thought I'd post it and see how well people can solve it. It does take a little reasoning.

A lady is in a hardware store. She asks the clerk, "how much is 1?" The clerk says "99 cents." She asks the clerk, "how much is 12?" The clerk says "$1.98". The lady says "ok, I want 144." The clerk says "Ok, that will be $2.97." What was the lady buying?

The customer is buying number decals on her mailbox, or brass numbers to go on top of her front door, either of which is designating her address, 144 (your name here) Street.

Edited by DarkChild of Mercury

This is an old puzzle, but I've never seen it posted here so I thought I'd post it and see how well people can solve it.

Welcome to the site, Stevebcincy. If you're not sure if a riddle has been posted before, please perform a search using keywords before posting. In this case had you searched for "hardware +store" (without the quotes), you would have found the thread brhan linked to.

thread locked