BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Casey, a left fielder, who wears number one, brought up from the minor leagues, played in just one inning of one game in the majors. In his only at bat, at the count of one and one, he grounded to first base to make the first out. In the field, Casey made one error allowing one(the eventual winning) run to score. Casey also tied a long standing major league record. What is the record?

I'm sure there is a trick answer to this I'm missing, but as a baseball fan, I can accurately say:

1) Casey has tied the record for worst career batting average.

2) Casey has tied the record for worst career fielding percentage.

I'm sure there is a trick answer to this I'm missing, but as a baseball fan, I can accurately say:

1) Casey has tied the record for worst career batting average.

2) Casey has tied the record for worst career fielding percentage.

True enough on both counts but not the answer. It is not something bad, but good. Rudimentary knowledge of baseballs rules required.

True enough on both counts but not the answer. It is not something bad, but good. Rudimentary knowledge of baseballs rules required.

In my last reply I mistated "true enough on both counts" I should have said, true enough on one count. SORRY!

Casey, a left fielder, who wears number one, brought up from the minor leagues, played in just one inning of one game in the majors. In his only at bat, at the count of one and one, he grounded to first base to make the first out. In the field, Casey made one error allowing one(the eventual winning) run to score. Casey also tied a long standing major league record. What is the record?

Cannot bear to see you all suffer so, so heres a hint; this record can never be broken!

The first thought that jumps in my head is fewest career strikeouts, but that seems too easy. You didn't say that the error was the only ball hit to him, so he could've tied the record for most put outs or assists in an inning

The first thought that jumps in my head is fewest career strikeouts, but that seems too easy. You didn't say that the error was the only ball hit to him, so he could've tied the record for most put outs or assists in an inning

Congrats: finite number of outs in one inning 3. Casey made all 3!

And that's mentioned where? Not in the OP for sure.

The thing that clued me in was that it said he ALSO tied a record...implying that he did something other than what was mentioned

The thing that clued me in was that it said he ALSO tied a record...implying that he did something other than what was mentioned

Looks like he tied more than one and one of them was not with one other but with more than one other.- Is one making oneself clear?

Probably thinking of quinn or .. don't know - was sure the record was for most hits in first innings - maybe that's another puzzle, now i'm puzzled too.

If that answer suffices, then why couldn't it be how many foul balls he couldn't get to in one inning? Or maybe how many balls bounced off his head for home runs (a la Jose' Canseco)? Just wondering...

If that answer suffices, then why couldn't it be how many foul balls he couldn't get to in one inning? Or maybe how many balls bounced off his head for home runs (a la Jose' Canseco)? Just wondering...

A defensive player making all three outs in an inning is a rare and noteworthy accomplishment. Kudos to GIJEFF for sorting through all the misdirection.

The problem with the answer here is that there is NO indication that your possibiliity is a better correct answers than others.

Here's an equally convoluted answer.

So, Casey plays only one inning, has only one at bat and makes the first out.

Why couldn't the first batter of the inning got hit by a pitch. Casey pitchruns for him, and then proceeds to steal second base, third base and home plate, a VERY noteworthy accomplishment and a tie of a record (and one that couldn't be broken). The next 8 batters all proceed to reach base, and Casey comes up to the plate to bat as the 10th batter of the inning, but his first at bat, and prompty grounds to first base on a count of 1-1.

This answer is silly, but possible. I'll admit that catching 3 fly balls in left field is more likely than my answer, but its not any more correct. Neither is any other answers I've seen so far.

I'm being critical not because your answer isn't an interesting one, but that it's not unique and "the" answer to your puzzle, but just one of many. I don't like riddles that don't point you in the right direction, have plenty of perfectly legitimate answers, but the guessers are supposed think EXACTLY like the question writer to "get" the answer right.

The problem with the answer here is that there is NO indication that your possibiliity is a better correct answers than others.

Why couldn't the first batter of the inning got hit by a pitch. Casey pitchruns for him, and then proceeds to steal second base, third base and home plate, a VERY noteworthy accomplishment and a tie of a record (and one that couldn't be broken). The next 8 batters all proceed to reach base, and Casey comes up to the plate to bat as the 10th batter of the inning, but his first at bat, and prompty grounds to first base on a count of 1-1.

This answer is silly, but possible. I'll admit that catching 3 fly balls in left field is more likely than my answer, but its not any more correct. Neither is any other answers I've seen so far.

I'm being critical not because your answer isn't an interesting one, but that it's not unique and "the" answer to your puzzle, but just one of many. I don't like riddles that don't point you in the right direction, have plenty of perfectly legitimate answers, but the guessers are supposed think EXACTLY like the question writer to "get" the answer right.

How could that not be broken? If someone get a single twice in the same inning, they could get 6 stolen bases in an inning, beating your record of 3.

I agree, but the point is that there are many answers. Here's an answer you can't refute. Least at bats for a batter = 1.

Exactly. The point isn't my answer is perfect, but rather that multiple answers fit the clue (switch mine to calculation of percenage of opportune bases stolen, and mine works).

There's another "riddle" going on right now with a number sequence that's bothering me even more than this one, where the author insists the answer isn't 15 even thought it fits the given information fine, but is unwilling to clarify to the point where the clues eliminate the wrong answers leaving you solely with the right answer.

I really wish this "Casey" problem had a clue in it that not only had he tied a record, but information was given to exclude the possibilities of "least at bats, least strikeouts, etc." and other correct answers. I have no problem with an open-ended problem, but either be accepting of open-ended answers OR add additional information to exclude those other answers.

A perfect riddle is perfectly riddled with perfectly perfect perfections. The answer by GIJEFF is the answer I was looking for in my perfectly imperfect riddle.

I agree, but the point is that there are many answers. Here's an answer you can't refute. Least at bats for a batter = 1.

And I did state that is not something bad as in "least" but something good as in "most".