Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Math Confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tap_521

Tap_521

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

When a child was doing math homework he got confused. The problem was: if suzy has 5 apples and bob has 1 how many apples are there? When the childs parents came in he said he asked what the problem was. If the child had learned this is school and understood it then what was the childs pronlem with the assignment?

Answer: In school they used bananas not apples, that was his excuse!

#2 schmiggen

schmiggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

I can easily see a child having a much different problem with such a question. Children often recognize that people will try to trick them with questions, and will try to figure out the exact meaning of a question before giving an answer; this question asks "how many apples are there?" and does not explain that the only apples being asked about are the ones that suzy and bob have together. I had a similar problem to this sometimes, particularly when the question is involved in a riddle of some sort. But maybe I was just a peculiar and untrusting child?

#3 Tap_521

Tap_521

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:56 AM

UMMM...WHAT?!? MAYBE YOU WERE. i CAN SEE YOUR LOGIC BUT MOST CHILDREN AREN'T LIKE THAT SOOOOO UMM... YEAH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users