BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

You and your two best friends have numbers written on your foreheads. You are told that the three numbers are primes and that they form the sides of a triangle with prime perimeter. You see 5 and 7 on your friends' forehead, both of whom state that they cannot deduce the number on their own foreheads. What number is written on your forehead?

But it seems to me that neiher can you!!

You can either have 1, 5, 7 or 11 written on your foreheads. All these would leave your friends uncertain about thier numbers!

Am I off here?

1 is neither prime nor composite :)

You cannot go above 12 for obvious reasons... but you can be 11!

Ya that is true ... the possible numbers will be 3,5,7 and 11. But only one of them gives a unique solution ...

Brhan , I cannot see how 3 works and can you please explain why numbers above 12 are not possible. :)

I am stumped here.

Alright GC,

Of course 3 is not a solution. Any number above 12 is not possible because there is a property of triangles in which the sum of the two sides is greater than the third side. So, if a, b and c are the sides of a triangle then a+b > c; a+c > b and b+c > a. Since 5 and 7 are already given and 5+7=12 the third side must be less than 12.

So, the possible solutions are 5, 7 and 11. But only one of them can give a unique solution ... and that is what I am looking for.

Alright GC,

Of course 3 is not a solution. Any number above 12 is not possible because there is a property of triangles in which the sum of the two sides is greater than the third side. So, if a, b and c are the sides of a triangle then a+b > c; a+c > b and b+c > a. Since 5 and 7 are already given and 5+7=12 the third side must be less than 12.

So, the possible solutions are 5, 7 and 11. But only one of them can give a unique solution ... and that is what I am looking for.

Thanks , Brhan . I should definitely refresh my geometry . ;)

1st friend(5) : Sees 7 and my number(5,7 or 11).

If he sees 5 , his could be 5,7 or 11.

If he sees 7 , his number is 5

If he sees 11 , his number could be 5,11 or 13.

2nd friend(7) : Sees 5 and my numbers(5,7 or 11).

If he sees 5, his number is 7.

So 5 and 7 are eliminated.

So my number is 11. ;)

Please verify it Brhan. :)

Edited by grey cells

So, the possible answers are (initially) 3, 5, 7, 11 since those are the only prime numbers that would satisfy the triangle inequality theorem. 3 is out, since 3+5+7 = 15 (not prime), but the other 3 are possible answers.

I'm stumped after that. Usually, its the clue that since the other people can't figure it out but you can lets you know what to do next. But with the three scenarios, here's what I see and why I'm stumped.

If you have a 5...

...then the other guy who has a 5 is seeing a 5 and a 7, and sees 3 possible prime totals (17, 19, 23) and can't answer.

...and the other guy who has a 7 is seeing a 5 and a 5, and sees 2 possible prime totals (13 and 17) and can't answer.

If you have a 7...

...then the other guy who has a 5 is seeing a 7 and a 7, and sees 2 possible prime totals (17 and 19) and can't answer.

...then the other guy who has a 7 is seeing a 5 and 7, and sees 3 possible prime totals (17, 19, 23) and can't answer.

If you have an 11...

...then the other guy who has a 5 is seeing a 7 and 11, and sees 3 possible prime totals (23, 29, 31) and can't answer.

...then the other guy who has a 7 is seeing a 5 and 11, and sees 2 possible prime totals (23 and 29) and can't answer.

If 2 of these 3 scenarios had someone who could figure it out, then you would choose the remaining one. If even one of them had someone, I might have an idea. But I'm stumped. No matter what number you have, none of the others should be able to figure it out, so that clue doesn't seem to help (initially, at least).

GREYCELLS SAYS:

The first friend has no idea of his number, so has no idea of your thought process, so has no idea that you are limited to 5, 7 or 11. Plus, he's not limited to those either. It's quite possible that 3 or 13 are feasible choices for some scenarios.

So my number is 11. ;)

That is perfect. Well done Grey Cells. Nayama has got it as well, though without reasoning. Nice one Nayama ...

Edited by brhan

That is perfect. Well done Grey Cells. Nayama has got it as well, though without reasoning. Nice one Nayama ...

I'm either missing something, or there's something missing from the question.

What this answer is saying is that if the person with the 5 sees two 7's, then he knows he has a 5, because 5+7+7 = 19, and 7+7+7=21 (composite) and 11+7+7 = 25 (composite).

But why can't this person think he has a 3? 3+7+7 = 17 (also prime).

While YOU are limited into thinking you have only a 5, 7, or 11 based on the two numbers YOU see, there's no reason that I can see that the other two are limited. There's no reason for THEM to eliminate 3 or 13 as possibilities if they see two numbers on your head and on the remaining person's head that would satisfy the triangle inequality.

Brhan, my name is NAYANA....yeah. thanks...well, i had forgotten that property of triangles....thanks....i always get lucky with answers... :lol:

If you have a 5...

...then the other guy who has a 5 is seeing a 5 and a 7, and sees 3 possible prime totals (17, 19, 23) and can't answer.

...and the other guy who has a 7 is seeing a 5 and a 5, and sees 2 possible prime totals (13 and 17) and can't answer.

If you have a 7...

...then the other guy who has a 5 is seeing a 7 and a 7, and sees 2 possible prime totals (17 and 19) and can't answer.

...then the other guy who has a 7 is seeing a 5 and 7, and sees 3 possible prime totals (17, 19, 23) and can't answer.

If you have an 11...

...then the other guy who has a 5 is seeing a 7 and 11, and sees 3 possible prime totals (23, 29, 31) and can't answer.

...then the other guy who has a 7 is seeing a 5 and 11, and sees 2 possible prime totals (23 and 29) and can't answer.

Some of the choices can be elliminated by applying the triangle inequality -- the sum of two sides is greater than the third side of a triangle.

For instance, if you have a 5 the other guy with 7 sees 5 and 5. So you don't need to consider numbers greater than 9.

I'm either missing something, or there's something missing from the question.

What this answer is saying is that if the person with the 5 sees two 7's, then he knows he has a 5, because 5+7+7 = 19, and 7+7+7=21 (composite) and 11+7+7 = 25 (composite).

But why can't this person think he has a 3? 3+7+7 = 17 (also prime).

While YOU are limited into thinking you have only a 5, 7, or 11 based on the two numbers YOU see, there's no reason that I can see that the other two are limited. There's no reason for THEM to eliminate 3 or 13 as possibilities if they see two numbers on your head and on the remaining person's head that would satisfy the triangle inequality.

Ok, let me elaborate it. There are three possibilities: 5, 7 and 11. Let A is the guy with 5 on his forehead and B the guy with 7 on his forehead.

If you have 5, then B sees (5,5) so he concludes he must have 3 or 7. But 3 can be eliminated because if he (B) has 3 A will see (3,5) and would know his (A) number is 5 since if it is 3 B will see (3,3) making the only solution 5. But the OP states A can't draw a conclusion so you can eliminate 5.

I hope that makes sense. If not write your comments or PM me, and I will elaborate in more depth.

Is 3 a prime?

If yes, then he can be 7 or 3!! (5+5+3=13) and 3 does not violate the triangle property...

And unless 13 is not prime, this would leave the puzzle unsolved then...

No?

Edited by roolstar

Is 3 a prime?

If yes, then he can be 7 or 3!! (5+5+3=13) and 3 does not violate the triangle property...

No?

3 is a prime no. but two sides(7,5) are given...u have added 5 two times above.....however thus if u add 3+5+7=15 which is not prime ....hence 3 is ruled out..

Thank you for your prompt reply Nayana.

But I think you misread my post.

I included below the original post on which I replied. The RED part is where the 3 can fit as a possibility.

Please verify it Brhan. :)

So my number is 11. ;)

Is 3 a prime?

If yes, then he (the 2nd friend with 7 on his forehead who sees 5 and 5) can be 7 or 3!! (5+5+3=13) and 3 does not violate the triangle property...

No?

But I reread the previous posts and Brhan actually demonstrated why 3 cannot be a possibility.

Check POst#21

Edited by roolstar

You and your two best friends have numbers written on your foreheads. You are told that the three numbers are primes and that they form the sides of a triangle with prime perimeter. You see 5 and 7 on your friends' forehead, both of whom state that they cannot deduce the number on their own foreheads. What number is written on your forehead?

because for triangle a+b>c, b+c>a, c+a>b

In case of you C

now if a=5, b=7, then c<12....now let us try all the primes below 12..

c=1, in this case a+c<B

c=2, in this case a+c=b

c=3, it follows the rule of triangle, but a+b+c is not prime

c=5, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=17 is prime

c=7, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=19 is prime

c=11, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=23 is prime

So, your numbers can be 5,7, or 11.

What happened to your friend A

he sees b=7, c=5 or 7 or 11,

When c=5, a<12

a=1, in this case a+c<b

a=2, in this case a+c=b

a=3, it follows the rule of triangle, but a+b+c=15 is not prime

a=5, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=17 is prime

a=7, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=19 is prime

a=11, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=23 is prime

So, according to A, his numbers can be 5,7, or 11.

When c=7, a<14

a=1, it follows the rule of triangle, but a+b+c=15 is not prime

a=2, a+b+c=16

a=3, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=17 is prime

a=5, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=19 is prime

a=7, a+b+c=21

a=11, a+b+c=25

a=13, a+b+c=27

So, according to A, his numbers can be 1,3, or 5.

When c=11, a<18

a=1, it follows the rule of triangle, but a+b+c=18 is not prime

a=2, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=19 is prime

a=3, a+b+c=20

a=5, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=23 is prime

a=7, a+b+c=25

a=11, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=29 is prime

a=13, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=31 is prime

a=17, a+b+c=35

So, according to A, his numbers can be 2,5,11,13.

But for all of your options (5,7,11), A's number can be 5.

So, lets think about B

What happened to your friend B

he sees a=5, c=5 or 7 or 11,

When c=5, b<10

b=1, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=11 is prime

b=2, it follows the rule of triangle , but a+b+c=12

b=3, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=13 is prime

b=5, a+b+c=15

b=7, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=17 is prime

So, according to B, his numbers can be 1,3, or 7.

When c=7, b<12

b=1, in this case a+b<c

b=2, in this case a+b=c

b=3, it follows the rule of triangle ,but a+b+c=15

b=5, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=17 is prime

b=7, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=19 is prime

b=11, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=19 is prime

So, according to B, his numbers can be 5,7, or 11.

When c=11, b<16

b=1, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=17 is prime

b=2, it follows the rule of triangle, but a+b+c=18

b=3, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=19 is prime

b=5, a+b+c=21

b=7, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=23 is prime

b=11, a+b+c=26

b=13, as it follows the rule of triangle and a+b+c=29 is prime

So, according to B, his numbers can be 1,3, or 7.

Now, As you can see A's number is 5 and B's number is 7, So, for any of your numbers 5,7 or 11 it is possible….So, the result is undefined.